Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac os X Server Universal Binary install upgrade possible ?

Has anyone attempted the following upgrade pattern with the new mac pros with mac os X Universal Binary build ?

Take your PowerPC mac os X server build to an external hard drive (Carbon Copy clonning or via SuperDuper). Tie in the external hard drive to the Mac Pro . Upgrade the Mac os X server install via the DVD install for mac os X server coming with the mac pro . CCC it back to the mac pro ... watch the fireworks ?

I am still in waiting the machine but there are loads of data i would like to transfer from our my present mac os X server quad setup to the upcoming MacPro and doing this manipulation might make the transition soooo much easier than having to transport everything ...

I hope there are no other already started threads concerning this procedure but if such would be the case i apologize for the inconvinience caused and would be glad if reffering threads would be posted here ...

G5 Quad 2.5 7TB xraid 16GB of ram. Mac OS X (10.4.7) Mac os X server 10.4.7

Posted on Aug 18, 2006 2:25 AM

3 replies

Aug 22, 2006 6:17 AM in response to Bertrand Stern1

From the looks of it the upgrade from Mac os X server PPC to Mac os X server Universal Binary is not possible from install disk .... i backed up a whole PPC drive loaded my Mac os X Server UB in the machine and booted off the CD on a MBP ... and the installer just wont take the PPC build as upgradable .. once again apple leaves us in the middle of the transition ... WHY ???? For those of us getting mac pros to run mac os x server applications this would be a great benefit to all parties involved and help solve the many dog heared problems we have faced all along in 10.4.

Edit: Same thing from a PPC standpoint a PPC build wont upgade to a Universal Binary build at all as it seems ... i am calling Apple support and hope to get further information to share ... wish me luck

I dare hope leopard behaves better than 10.4 has been especially on the server side which broke many functions that 10.3 got right pretty quickly and neatly .

G5 Quad 2.5 7TB xraid 16GB of ram. Mac OS X (10.4.7) Mac os X server 10.4.7

Aug 24, 2006 3:49 AM in response to Bertrand Stern1

Question solved you can actually Upgrade mac os X server 10.4.7 PPC to Mac os X server UB...

1) Clone down your PPC machine. (SuperDuper Carbon Copy Cloner etc) to an external drive.
2) Export your users info somewhere ... a quick CD will do ...
3) Install Mac Intel build on your MacPro.
4) Clone Back your Build on your MacPro to your external dont erase the drive just file copy mode.
5) boot up !!
6) Import back your WGM user data.

PS : I dont think Apple supports this trick at all so you are entering unknown territories in terms of updates and such but you have the goods . I hope this will help most of people looking to go beyond this little problem.

Mac os X Server Universal Binary install upgrade possible ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.