Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More than 4 gb ram in each slot?

I have a mid 2011 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 iMac. I bought two 8GB RAM cards. Can I use them? The specs say there are 4 slots meant for 4 GB each. Do I need to return these for two more 4GB ram cards?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 5:56 PM

Yes, you have four slots. Apple's specs say that model has a max RAM of 16GB (4x4GB modules). However, like many Mac models, newer and larger modules can work in it. Your computer probably shipped with 4GB RAM--two 2GB modules in two of the slots. As long as the new ones are the proper type for your Mac, they shoudl do fine in the two open slots, giving you a total of 20GB RAM.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2014 5:56 PM in response to cary35

Yes, you have four slots. Apple's specs say that model has a max RAM of 16GB (4x4GB modules). However, like many Mac models, newer and larger modules can work in it. Your computer probably shipped with 4GB RAM--two 2GB modules in two of the slots. As long as the new ones are the proper type for your Mac, they shoudl do fine in the two open slots, giving you a total of 20GB RAM.

More than 4 gb ram in each slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.