Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling the Mail Application?

I'm running 10.6.8 on an original 2006 Macbook Pro. I've ALWAYS had a problem with my "Mail" application!!! I NEVER use it!!! I actually HATE it!!!

But I LOVE using the "Calendar" application.

My problem occurs when my turning on my computer and I get a "Calendar Alert". I guess the Calendar is somehow linked to "Mail" and it tries to launch "Mail" EVERY SINGLE TIME I have a Calendar Alert!!! It's soooo ANNOYING!!!!

The ONLY way to get "Mail" NOT to launch is by turning off the "alarms" or "alerts" for every single event in my Calendar. It's horrible. For example, I create a new event in my Calendar, save it, then go back into it and turn off the alarms. After years of experience, this seems like the ONLY way to NOT get "Mail" to launch.

Therefore, I deleted the "Mail" application!!! I could've sworn that this solved my problem, in the past. But I recently wiped/restored my computer, and therefore, had to delete "Mail" all over again.

NOW, when I turn on my laptop and I have a Calendar alert, "Mail" still tries to launch and a window pops up trying to locate the "Mail" application. I've attached a screenshot of the window.

Does anybody have any ideas for me??? Like I said, I've deleted the Mail app before and it seemed to not cause any problems. But now I'm getting this terrible pop up window.

And like I also said, if I were to leave the Mail app on my computer, and God forbid, forget to turn off the alarms for a new event (which I like using the alarms sometimes),User uploaded file then the Mail app launches, and usually freezes because I don't have it linked to any of my email accounts!!!

This is just ALL AROUND TERRIBLE!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!! I HOPE THIS MADE SENSE!!!!!!!!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 6:04 PM

2 replies

Apr 2, 2014 4:09 PM in response to richardzulu

Your problem isn't Mail.app your problem is that you are using a script that expects Mail to be installed.

What is the script that is so important to the calendar events? If you can find the raw Applescript & edit out the references to Mail this nonsense should stop.

Are you trying to use the built in 'email alert' type of iCal alarm? I don't think that can ever work if you refuse to use Mail. I think you will need another Applescript to access your email client instead (or use a message alert type).

If you have a lot of alerts set to use email alerts it will be tough to find them & delete the action, I suppose you can export each calendar & then open the calendar.ICS file in a text editor. That should allow you to find the lines with the 'ACTION:EMAIL' line which need editing for that event.

I suspect sending invitations will also fail, so you will need to forget about that feature too.

Apr 2, 2014 4:28 PM in response to richardzulu

At the risk of compounding the level of mangling you are doing to this OS… :^)

iCal has it's own applescript for sending email messages…

/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/Mail.applescript

You will need to right click (or ctrl+click) on the app & show package contents to see inside the 'Application bundle'.

Navigate into Contents/Resources/ & you should be able to find the 'Mail.applescript' You can either edit that (so that your preferred email client works, or delete it altogether. I have no idea if this will break iCal, so backup the application before you begin. I'd also take a full system backup too.

Disabling the Mail Application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.