Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro is definitely hacked

Hi. I lent my Macbook Pro to somebody else to have him install some software for me, and I think they installed some hacking software in my Mac

So yes, this was a hand-on hacking, and they had a whole day to do the job

I'm not seeing remote control yet, but I have sufficient reason to believe they've at least installed spyware and keyloggers.

The damage they're doing now with the information they've gathered from my mac 'till now is massive. From my email to facebook were all hacked from this. Another minute adds another damage. Please reply quick :'(

P.S. Linc Davis seems to be an expert in this field... Is there any way to make sure he'll see this thread?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 7:46 PM

17 replies

Mar 31, 2014 8:31 PM in response to turbostar

to turbostar. Exactly.

At the time I was writing that question, my passwords were all changed and I was locked out of my accounts. They redirected the whole system so that they'll get the changed passwords. I changed my passwords at another computer, but they managed to get all those information as well.

Erasing the HD is sadly not an option for me.

What I need is a way to find these keyloggers, spywares and who-knows-what-they've installed without resetting the whole system.

Apr 2, 2014 6:36 AM in response to Community User

Erasing the HD is sadly not an option for me.

What I need is a way to find these keyloggers, spywares and who-knows-what-they've installed without resetting the whole system.

You say this was solved, but I would point out that if you didn't actually erase the hard drive, you didn't solve the problem. There is no way to discover all changes that a malicious individual could make to your system, given unsupervised physical access. If you didn't erase the hard drive, whatever solution you tried may have made it seem like the problem is solved by removing the most obvious symptoms, but you cannot know that it actually is fixed. There could still be lingering backdoors, keyloggers, etc.

Why do you feel that erasing the hard drive is not an option?

Apr 4, 2014 9:32 PM in response to thomas_r.

Well erasing the hard drive is not an option because I have too many softwares installed on my mac. (being a photographer / digital artist) and I can't afford to give the effort of changing all that

The problem's well solved. It was discovered that my friend pulled a big prank on me for April fool's day (yeah I hava a programmer as a friend) He removed all the malicious things he installed on my mac, and I increased my security & passwords to twice the strength afterwards. So problem solved.. I guess

Apr 4, 2014 10:32 PM in response to TildeBee

Thank you 🙂

and yes, I made clear that he would NOT touch my computers ever again... Anyways, later on the April Fool's day, me and my colleagues had some good laughs over the matter (with a twinge of dissaproval from my side) Though it was (very) embarassing, it really beafed my security for later attacks from a 'real' hacker. Maybe it was a good thing this kind of an incident happened before the 'real' serious stuffs

Apr 4, 2014 10:46 PM in response to TildeBee

Thank you ~Bee

It was a lesson hard learned 😉 and yes the way they embarrassed me was to a bit cruel, so much that half the audience of my facebook had the same response as you. Obviously they could see that the post updates couldn't have been from me (The other half? well.... there are people who like to see other ppl. made fun of) In terms, it was a 'white-hacker' attack, and I just paid them by means other than monetary.

The reason I'm so easygoing, you may wonder? Well, it's maybe I'm so kind 🙂... or I have things up my sleeve...

But that's a tale for another day. Thank you all 🙂

Apr 5, 2014 2:55 AM in response to Community User

Since this was a friend, crisis averted. And it's good that you're now more aware of security issues!

One thing I will point out, though, is that you need to be prepared to reinstall your system from scratch at any time. The need shouldn't come up often, but it can come up unexpectedly, for other reasons than just hacking. So be ready... make sure you have all the serial numbers, disks, etc for all that third-party software gathered together, so that if the need occurs, you're ready to respond with everything you will need. Otherwise, what is just a lengthy chore could turn into a nightmare lasting many days or even weeks of lost productivity.

Apr 6, 2014 8:26 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you thomas! I'd consider having a backup ready 🙂 I should get an external hard drive or something of the like.

But it would be good to know if there's some way to find out if someone's spying on me and track down those programs. Anyone knows how to do that?

Apr 6, 2014 9:19 AM in response to Community User

But it would be good to know if there's some way to find out if someone's spying on me and track down those programs. Anyone knows how to do that?

I already answered that question earlier: there is no way. If you suspect that someone has had the kind of access required to install some kind of back door, or if you find that you are infected with malware known to provide back door access, the only possible response to ensure a clean system is to erase the hard drive.

Apr 7, 2014 4:32 AM in response to thomas_r.

Ah... okay Thomas..I hoped there could be a way to backtrack my mac's configuration using Console or something of the like. Can one not know to determine this without the ability to read the console logs?

Apr 7, 2014 5:19 AM in response to Community User

Even with the console logs it's not really possible.

I should modify that a little, though... a true expert, with extremely deep knowledge of the system and armed with forensic investigation tools abd techniques, might be able to make a determination to some degree of confidence. But this would be costly and time-consuming, not to mention that there are very few people who are experts to the degree that would be necessary. Most techs wouldn't be able to do this... someone who has this kind of knowledge wouldn't be working as a basic tech.

I've been studying this stuff for years and have a fair bit of programming experience, and even so I wouldn't feel confident making such a determination. I would honestly refuse to do so, and would act on the same advice I've given you if I felt someone had hacked my machine.

Apr 7, 2014 6:46 PM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks thomas 🙂 That's exactly what I needed to know

I'll keep my files and programs backupped. Hopefully, the Mac OS itself would be enough for a good extent of time. But better keep in mind all the advice I got here

Again, thanks!

My Macbook Pro is definitely hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.