Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.8... want to update to the new Mavericks but it shuts off part way through before the update is complete.

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.8. I would like to update to the new Mavericks, but everytime I leave my computer on and plugged in to complete the update, it shuts off part way through before the update is complete. Help! I want the update!

I have tried several times... it says it will take upwards of 5 hours, so I usually leave my computer running to let it upload. But everytime I come back to check on it after an hour or two, it has shut down or restarted. I have changed my sleep and battery settings so that my computer will not automatically restart, and normally it does not, but everytime I try this update it does. How can I get the new OS on my macbook pro??

Thanks for the help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 7:31 PM

1 reply

Mar 31, 2014 7:46 PM in response to t574

Try resetting your SMC and NVRAM before attempting to install again.

Resetting the NVRAM/PRAM

Note: This will not delete any data.

The NVRAM/PRAM stores information such as speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and recent kernel panic information (if any). You should reset the NVRAM/PRAM if you experience issues relating to these functions.

Shut down the computer by going to Apple () > Shut Down…

Select Shut Down or allow the computer to shut down automatically.

Turn on the computer by pressing the Power Button.

On the built-in keyboard, press and hold the Command (⌘), Option (), P, and R keys before the gray screen appears.

Continue to hold down the keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup chime for the second time.

Release the keys on the built-in keyboard.

Resetting the SMC of an Intel-based portable Mac with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: This will not delete any data.

The SMC is responsible for controlling various system functions. None of your data will be deleted by resetting the SMC.

Shut down the computer by going to Apple () > Shut Down…

Select Shut Down or allow the computer to shut down automatically.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter into a power source and then connect it to your Mac if you have not already done so.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift (), Control (), and Option () keys and the Power Button at the same time.

Release the (left side) Shift (), Control (), and Option () keys and the Power Button at the same time.

I hope I helped.

Austin

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.8... want to update to the new Mavericks but it shuts off part way through before the update is complete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.