Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition issue, couldn't unmount disk

I have read several other discussions on this problem, but haven't found a solution.

I recently erased my bootcamp partition of Windows. However, in the middle of erasing the partition, the Bootcamp Assistant froze and my system became unresponsive. I had to restart my computer. When MacOS loaded back up, my Windows partition was gone, but the hard drive space that was allocated to my windows partition is now "Free Space"

User uploaded file

When I reboot into Recovery Mode, I try to extend my Macintosh HD partition to my full hard drive capacity. However, the attempt fails by saying that Disk Utility couldn't unmount the disk. Is there a solution to this that doesn't involve a clean wipe and reinstall from a Time Capsule Backup (for sake of not taking a long time to restore from backup)?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 9:31 PM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2014 7:35 AM in response to BobRz

Not even bootcamp can see the dead space. It just tries to pull data from my current Macintosh HD size:

This picture shows that I can no longer "Erase" my partition that has already been erased.

User uploaded file

This picture shows that Bootcamp can only see my ~350 GB Mac partition.

User uploaded file

And this is just disk utility information to show that there's just a missing chunk from my hard drive:

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 348.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: IRM_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-... *3.9 GB disk1

Partition issue, couldn't unmount disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.