Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 will not sync over wi-fi, "sync will resume when PC is available"

I have been struggling with this issue for the last several days and I have yet to find a fix. I can sync my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1) with my Windows 7 PC using the USB cable, but I am unable to get wi-fi sync to work. I am running the latest version of iTunes (11.1.5). Shortly after I start iTunes my phone appears for about 10 seconds with a swirly activity wheel, which then freezes and the phone disappears again. If I try to manually initiate a sync from the phone, the "Sync Now" button is greyed-out and it says "Sync will resume when "HOME-PC" is available".

My phone can connect to the wi-fi network and access the internet just fine, and syncs via cable no problem. Home Sharing is on and my phone can access the iTunes library. It appears that iTunes can see my iPhone on the network, but just can't connect to it. It doesn't matter whether the phone is connected to power or not. I did have wi-fi sync working in the past so something must have broken it, I'm just not sure what or when.

I have searched here and elsewhere on the internet and found a lot of people with similar issues, but none of the posted solutions have worked. Steps I have already tried:

Restarted iTunes/PC/iPhone/router in various sequences.

Unchecked/checked "Sync with this phone over wi-fi" setting.

Stopped/restarted Bonjour and AppleMobileDevice services.

Full uninstall/reinstall of iTunes and all Apple software with registry clean.

Reinstalled Bonjour services.

Assigned static IP addresses to iPhone and PC.

Disable/enable IPv6 on my network adapter and router.

Checked Windows firewall settings, disabled Windows firewall.

Checked all of my router settings...I was using DD-WRT firmware, reverted back to factory Netgear firmware.

Backed up the iPhone, erased all settings and content, set up as new iPhone then restored from backup.

Any ideas? Something really simple I missed? Please HELP!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 3:38 AM

No one? Anybody? Any ideas?

19 replies

Apr 11, 2014 6:02 AM in response to VideoGuy42

I don't have an answer for you but from my experience iOS WiFi syncing has always been a hit and miss affair (more miss than hit I'm afraid). I have gotten to the stage where I rarely use the WiFi sync. It is just quicker, easier and much less stressful to use the USB cable. I am having the same issues with all the iOS devices in our family which includes various models of iPhone, iPad and an iPod Touch and have been having them since WiFi syncing was introduced (in iOS5 ???). And then I have not even mentioned my favorite iTunes syncing messages: "Waiting for items to copy" and "Waiting for changes to be applied"! 😮😕

iTunes is always extremely quick and eager to pick up the devices but as soon as I click on sync it shows "Looking for iDevice" and then the device disappears. I have found that initiating the sync from the Settings app on the device prevents this issue.

It does however seem as if it is worse with Windows 7. I did not have so many issues with my previous Windows Vista PC.

Sorry I cannot be of any help.

Apr 18, 2014 1:10 PM in response to VideoGuy42

I am sorry to say that I have had the identical problem for about 6 weeks, and have tried all the techniques you described, similarly without success.

I can say that the problem started immediately after an iTunes update (11.1.4) and has not been corrected with the subsequent update 11.1.5, so I do suspect that the problem is iTunes itself, although Apple has not so indicated.

I even went so far as to upgrade my iPhone from a 4s to a 5s, OS 7.1. No problem with sync via USB cable, but still no wi-fi sync, although the phone does seem to be recognized by iTunes. No sycn even when initiated from the phone settings.

Since wireless sync worked up until the iTunes update, I don't think anything you or I do will be successful until Apple recognizes the problem and corrects it in a future version of iTunes.

Message was edited by: 2812green

Apr 21, 2014 3:36 PM in response to VideoGuy42

Another ill-fated attempt:

I was at my daughter's for the holiday, and brought my laptop. (I have never used this laptop to sync iPhone previously, just my home PC)

So now I tried

-my new iPhone 5s OS 7.1

-a different machine, the laptop

-a new installation of iTunes latest version 11.1.5

-a different USP, modem, and router

No surprise. Hard wired sync worked fine, no wi-fi sync at all.

What this experiment did convince me of, however, is that:

It is not a modem or wireless router issue,

It is not some fluky setting on my PC,

It is not my hardware at all.

The only unchanged variable producing the problem is iTunes.

Maybe 11.1.4 created a disabling registry setting, and reinstalling 11.1.3 could not undo that change.

May 29, 2014 3:01 PM in response to VideoGuy42

Maybe good news, finally...

After months of no WiFi sync, I updated to the just -released iTunes 11.2.2.3, and WiFi sync finally worked. It took a couple of attempts, each cumulatively getting a bit further with the sync, but it was successful. Had to open and close iTunes a couple of times, re-sync, etc, but it does work. It was iTunes all along, as nothing else has changed. Hope it works for you as well.

Jul 17, 2014 11:41 AM in response to linders09

I finally made an account just to say THANK YOU linders09!! Your fix worked for me! I had been having problems with this forever and after finding 'Apple Mobile Device Support' in 'Programs and Features' and then repairing it (I did it twice, could have fixed it the first time, but I didn't immediately see the change on my phone so I repaired again) the SYNC NOW button was no longer greyed out and I've successfully synced my iphone 5! Thank you thank you thank you!

Dec 18, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Enderfish001

I've tried the Control Panel/Programs/Features/right click on Repair -- okayed it to make changes to my computer -- took a couple of seconds, tried again to sync on my phone (signed in to itunes), connected my iPhone via USB and from my iPhone clicked Settings/General/iTunes Wi-Fi Sync (even though it wasn't highlighted and obviously didn't work -- sigh). I've done this 4 or 5 times, all in vain. I go through this every couple months when I want to sync my phone to my computer and sync my computer calendar to my iPhone -- it truly is maddening! Writing Apple about this has resulted in NO reply at all.

My iPhone 5S is now 2 years old. It's in perfect condition, so I hate trading it in for the unknown, but I really need something that I can get support on and something that will sync easier.

Anyone have any suggestions? This is my first iPhone and it may be my last. Thanks!

Sandy

iPhone 5 will not sync over wi-fi, "sync will resume when PC is available"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.