Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

vpn proxy relay? How to setup and configure for remote access to bypass filters?

Hey fellow mac peoples!

I have a small problem that I suspect has a large solution, but I am sure it can be solved.

My wife goes into hospital regularly and wants to watch netflix on the hospital guest wifi. It is pleanty fast enough, 25mb up and down, but unfortunatly they block these types of apps. I can access my home mac's webserver without issue, just not sure how to make this work.

What I am wondering is HOW I would go about setting up a proxy of some sort so that her iPad could connect to my internet at home via the hospital wifi, and allow her to use my mac as a proxy/relay type thing.

I am sure this is doable, just need to know what I have to do, and how to do it.

All macs running Mavericks, and all iOS devices are current.

What do I need to do to make this work?

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 2:54 AM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2014 6:47 AM in response to A1278-alterego

If you setup a VPN server on your Mac (server) at home, and configure it to root all traffic via the VPN connection by defining the network 0.0.0.0 as being 'private' this will cause all traffic to go via your home Mac and therefore bypass the hospital filter.

You can test this by going to the following address when not connected to the VPN and after connecting to the VPN, the public IP address should change to show when connected to the VPN the public IP address becomes your home address.

See http://www.whatismyip.com (or similar site)

This approach can also get round 'geo-ip' protection. For example if your abroad on holiday and still want to get access to BBC iPlayer or Hulu.

Apr 1, 2014 7:37 AM in response to John Lockwood

ok, sounds like we're on the right track here. First question, do I need to be running Mac Os X Server? or is normal non-server X ok?

What other software will I need on my mac to do this?

I am assuming that once this is all setup, somewhere on my wife's iPad, I need to setup something i'm guessing in the network settings to reflect that it is to use the Home Os X Server.

Any Guidance you can provide would be great, thanks in advance.

Michael.

vpn proxy relay? How to setup and configure for remote access to bypass filters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.