Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring individual files and applications from time machine

Hi there, a few months ago I was having real problems with applications refusing to open and some things freezing. The guy in apple store reformatted the hard drive and then recovered everything from time machine. Helped a little for a short while but was never great. In this last week the same things have been getting completely unbearable so I thought I'd try installing maverick, in case that would help. Downloaded the installer, but like a few of my other applications it just refused to open - sitting in the dock with a white dot, doing nothing.

So I decided to format the hard drive again and start again, thinking I could transfer files and applications from my external drive (holding time machine backups) and hopefully that transfer wouldn't take with it whatever clashes or corruptions are causing all the problems. I formatted it and installed mavericks and that was fine; but when I tried to use migration assistant (as some website suggested I should) I found I could only transfer all the applications, for example, rather than selecting them one at a time. So I selected applications and it started transferring but then completely froze up. I eventually tried turning the thing off and on but it wouldn't boot up. So now I've formatted it again and am installing mavericks again, but once I have I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas? I need virtually all the files and applications but I really don't want to end up with the same issues again.

Cheers

Btw- please assume I know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing, if it wasn't already obvious!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 8:10 AM

There are no replies.

Transferring individual files and applications from time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.