Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Photo Stream in Finder

Good day anyone,

I just restored my MacBook and I would like to have my Shared Photostream at my disposal at the sidebar in the Finder.

I have seen several tutorials on how to do this with your regular Photostream, however.

One of these steps was that I had to type the following in: Finder -> Go -> Go to folder...

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub/

By navigating back to:

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/

And navigating forward to:

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub-shared

I realized that I was actually in the Shared Photostreams folder.

After following the steps for putting the Photostreams in the sidebar (but I used my Shared Photostream), I was not seeing all my photos in the sidebar. I have 609 (546 in one stream, 63 in another) photos and only 494 were actually showing in the finder. To be sure I got back to:

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub-shared

and looked in any of the 609 folders in 'sub-shared' and found indeed 609 photos and not 494.

I looked for:

Image = 494

jpg/JPG/jpeg/JPEG = 480 results

png/PNG = 14 results

My question is, how can I get all the 609, if not possible, the 546 photos in my sidebar? Is it a problem with iPhoto?

I really need this functionality!

Points for the correct answer ofcourse.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 8:02 AM

8 replies

Apr 2, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Hidos030

I saw the same thing - fewer photos in the Smart Folder search results than in iPhoto or on my devices. The photos are there - Finder is just not finding them, ironically.

This can be proven by manually opening photos one at a time. As you do this, the number found by the smart folder increases by one. Crazy.

You can get around all this nonsense by using Hazel to copy the photos to another location, as described here:

http://istherefood.com/photostream-management-with-hazel

Apr 2, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Hidos030

~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets

This folder in your user library is the buffer for syncing with iCloud. It is not necessarily exactly what you are seeing in the Photo Streams in iPhoto or Aperture. Most of the times, the folders "sub" and "sub-shared" will match perfectly the contents of the streams you are seeing in iPhoto or Aperture, but depending on the state of the syncing there may be discrepencies.

So, if you drag the folder sub-shared to your Finder's sidebar, you will have to live with differences due to the state of the syncing with icloud.

Why do you need to access the Photo Stream from the Finder Sidebar? Any application, that will open a File Chooser dialog and supports the media Browser, can access the Photo Stream from the Media Section in the file chooser window, for example, in Preview I can access the Photo Stream like this:

Just select Media > Photos > Aperture > iCloud

User uploaded file

Apr 2, 2014 8:51 AM in response to léonie

I see what you mean, the reason why I would like to have the Photostream in my sidebar is because the convenience is there in opposition to your proposal. This is because I use the Shared Photostream a lot on my iPhone and iPad and those are, really, the only pictures I find important. Having it updated whenever I have a new photo in the stream is what I actually need. If you know any alternatives or a fix to my problem I'd like to hear.

Shared Photo Stream in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.