Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applescript Software Error

Some time after March 23, my Applescript editor developed a problem:

"key down tab/key up tab" began prodicing the letter "a" rather than "tab". I suspect imy applescript editor is contaminated by some software insalle in the period 3/28 - 3/28. (Updates to imovie , ibooks, and iphote, digital camera raw data, HP scan compatability. ) Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any suggestions for a solution?

I use tab extensively in my scripts. . For example, the following program produces a mouse click on "target": (It does not work for all OS-X versions. Mine is 10.9.). It almost always works. In some cases it nneeds slight modification.

tell application "firefox"

activate

tell application "system events"

key code 3 using command down

keystroke "target"

repeat 3 times

key down tab

key up tab

end repeat

key code 5 using command down

key down return

key up return

end tell

end tell

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 7:42 AM

5 replies

Oct 16, 2014 8:49 AM in response to sonja4me

For anyone who is confused by this, key up and key down are part of the hidden suite of System Events.app, meaning they are not actually intended for use. Hidden suites (when they exist) are not easter eggs; they are usually object and commands that the developer is considering implementing in future releases, or that the developer did implement but decided for one reason or another not to publish. Which also explains why they might break over time...

I suggest you file a bug report. There may be third-party osax that can be used instead; at least, I seem to remember there being some from a long time ago.

Applescript Software Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.