Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate external HD crashes finder

Hi,

I've been using a Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive (1 TB) and when I try to transfer files from the drive back onto my Macbook Air, Finder crashes and won't relaunch. It looks like the files are still copying, but no data is being transferred and when I try to stop the process, the window never closes (it just says "Stopping" forever). When I try to relaunch Finder, it won't appear again until I unplug the external HD.

I encounter a worse problem when I try to transfer files between my Seagate drive and another hard drive (where the files ultimately need to be, since it's formatted for Windows computers as well): my Macbook Air crashes and a gray screen appears saying that the computer has restarted because it encountered a problem.

Is there a way to deal with this HD problem without deleting all of my files?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 8:26 AM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2014 9:19 AM in response to saltgirl16

saltgirl16 wrote:

since it's formatted for Windows computers as well

Is there a way to deal with this HD problem without deleting all of my files?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Issue is highlighted above. Not a HD issue, but a format issue and the interface software.

I presume its NTFS formatted? what software are you using to communicate with the HD? Paragon? Tuxera?

Tuxera has an issue with their software on latest Mavericks, and its an iffy program of low reliability to begin with.

Apr 1, 2014 4:30 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Sorry, I should've clarified. I have 2 external HDs: Seagate Backup Plus (formatted for Mac OS only), and a WD My Passport (exFAT). I ultimately want all of my files to be on the WD HD, which is why I have been trying to transfer them off of the Seagate drive and onto my computer.

I believe I'm just using the Seagate driver to communicate w/ the Seagate HD. Do you still think this is a format issue?

Apr 1, 2014 4:50 PM in response to saltgirl16

Do you still think this is a format issue?

No, now the question remains

A: why are you using 3rd party HD control software. You should never do that, namely since this is a Mac OSX formatted HD.

B: Verify the Mac OSX HD on another Mac, if same you have a very common issue called SATA card failure

read all about same here:

Your dead external hard drive is likely fine! Great hope for your 'faulty' external HD

However you said "Finder crashes and won't relaunch" , I presume ONLY on that one HD? if so, then very like SATA card failure.

The terms "passport" and "backup plus", these words dont mean anything actually about the drive, theyre just cotton-fuzz, are buzz words in the names of the drives, but they have no actual quantification regarding anything in hardware or software. 😊

Also:

Terms such as: "WD Passport, Expansion drive, Seagate Backup Plus, PC hard drive, Mac hard drive, Free agent, backup drive, Passport plus, Elements, Toshiba Canvio, Slim, ultraslim, pocket drive, Touro" etc. etc.

Seagate external HD crashes finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.