Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay & Mavericks on a late 2010 11inch Mac Air

I don't see the airplay icon on my menu bar. Is my machine unable to support airplay?

Powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 9:07 AM

from the link you posted from

A supported Mac

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring::

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

this line

MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)

people repport that the comercial program called airparrot make it work on older macs which video card does not support hardware realtime encoding of the video stream this mean the cpu has to do the work which can cause performance issues which is likely why apple only support in on systems where it does not

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2014 9:07 AM in response to MrGentle

from the link you posted from

A supported Mac

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring::

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

this line

MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)

people repport that the comercial program called airparrot make it work on older macs which video card does not support hardware realtime encoding of the video stream this mean the cpu has to do the work which can cause performance issues which is likely why apple only support in on systems where it does not

Airplay & Mavericks on a late 2010 11inch Mac Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.