Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro turns on, but screen does not

When I restart my MacBook Pro (Retina, mid-2012, 15 inch), I hear the Apple startup sound, and keyboard lights up and I can press the volume buttons and hear sound, but the screen stays black. It seems to be turning on and starting up fine, only the screen doesn't turn on. If I close the lid and wait a few minutes and open it, then it works.

Also, sometimes when waking it up from sleep mode, when I open the lid, the screen is all black. Again, if I close the lid and wait a few minutes and open it again, the screen turns on.

Also, for the past few weeks, every couple of days it will just freeze, the screen will go completely white or turn off, and is completely unresponsive. Don't know if this problem is related to the screen not turning on.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 9:38 AM

3 replies

May 17, 2014 10:59 AM in response to dominic23

Tried both of those, didn't help.

Another thing that's been happening that might be related - any time the screen goes to sleep and locks, it requires a password immediately after waking up (even though I have it set to require a password 1 hour after sleep/screen saver). But When this happens, I can just click "cancel", the screen goes black, I wake it up again, and then it doesn't require a password. I think this might be related to my problem because it is a screen sleep/wake up issue.

MacBook Pro turns on, but screen does not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.