5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2014 11:21 AM by snozdop
Actingbiz1 Level 2 Level 2

See headline.

Seriously. We're in the 7th generation of IOS, and Android has had this ability...STANDARD since Vanilla. Apple.... for the love of all things holy WHY.... WHY do you force these apps to notify me with the same exact tone as SMS??? I do NOT want to have to jailbreak my phone to get features the iPhone should already have. I can change the tones for individual e-mail addresses so why the blazes can't I change tones for different apps. OR at LEAST make SMS seperate from all 3rd party apps. HOW HARD CAN IT BE?

I hate feeling Forever Alone thinking someone texted me, when really it's a 3rd party app telling me some useless information.

Apple STEP UP YOUR GAME.

..::MacBook Pro 17::.., Mac OS X (10.6.2), Final Cut Studio 2
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Actingbiz1 wrote:

See headline.

Seriously. We're in the 7th generation of IOS, and Android has had this ability...STANDARD since Vanilla. Apple.... for the love of all things holy WHY.... WHY do you force these apps to notify me with the same exact tone as SMS???

What?

Why do you think Apple has anything to do with what a 3rd party app uses as a sound?

If the app is using a tone for soemthing then you should set the tone in that app's settings.

If you cannot set a tone for an app, contact the app support/developer.

• snozdop Level 5 Level 5

I hate feeling Forever Alone thinking someone texted me, when really it's a 3rd party app telling me some useless information.

So just TURN OFF that apps useless notifications then! Geez!

Apple STEP UP YOUR GAME.

Erm, Apple doesn't make the 3RD PARTY apps. The third-party app developers choose what sounds alerts and notifications make, not Apple. If the app developer has chosen to allow custom notification sounds, the option to change it will be in the Settings for that app.

• Actingbiz1 Level 2 Level 2

I agree that it would be nice to change the apps notification sound from within the app itself, but you CAN'T. My issue is that no matter what app it is, the default and unchangeable setting for a 3rd party app is the same tone as whatever the user sets as their SMS tone. WHY apple chose to force all other apps to use the same tone as SMS baffles me.

Yes I can disable notifications for useless 3rd party apps. But even apps I do want notifications from still use the same SMS notification sound and there is 0 way to change the sound. I have yet to see any non-jailbreak apps that have the ability to customize the app's own notifications. In iOS 7.

And I tell Apple to step their game up because, again, this is a type of setting Android has had in it's system settings since the mobile OS was built. Why APPLE hasn't incorporated the same type of easy, centralized customizations (especially since apple cointed the term "Notification CENTER") is beyond me. It seems like the only way to get any useful customizations is by jailbreaking the device.

• Chris CA Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

Actingbiz1 wrote:

I agree that it would be nice to change the apps notification sound from within the app itself, but you CAN'T.

You mean the Notification center sounds, not a sound within the app.

Settings > Notifications. Selece the app then set the sounds and how you want it to notify you (lock screen, Banner, etc.).

Why APPLE hasn't incorporated the same type of easy, centralized customizations (especially since apple cointed the term "Notification CENTER") is beyond me

Because you haven't looked...

I can change notifications for all apps that use them.

-> http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/09/how-to-customize-notification-center-in-ios-7

• snozdop Level 5 Level 5

WHY apple chose to force all other apps to use the same tone as SMS baffles me.

You don't get it do you? Apple DO NOT force all other apps to use the same tone.

What alert tones third-party apps use is ENTIRELY UP TO THE DEVELOPER of that app.

I have numerous apps that make a variety of noises to alert me to different things. Some of those apps have chosen to use the system default alert noise. Some have chosen to use a custom alert noise. And others have chosen to provide a range of alert noises the user can choose between.

If the third-party apps you use don't offer you a choice of different alert tones, CONTACT THE DEVELOPER, and ask them to implement it.

But even apps I do want notifications from still use the same SMS notification sound

Here's a radical idea... why not just change the SMS notfication sound to something else, then you can easily identifyby sound whether you've received an SMS or a third-party app notification?