Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do all lightning cables brake

Bought my 6th offical lightning cable today.

They all stop charging my iphone an ipad after a while.

What do I do wrong

iPhone 5s

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 11:31 AM

10 replies

Apr 1, 2014 3:03 PM in response to bmikkers

I have about a dozen that have been in daily use since they were first produced, with no particular attention paid to using them. They're all in good condition, so clearly they don't all break.

As with all electrical cables, don't subject them to unnecessary abuse. That means never pull on the cord itself when disconnecting it. Don't tie them in knots or chew on them either. I see people do dumb things like that all the time. No electical cord will survive for long that way.

Jul 12, 2014 10:13 PM in response to bmikkers

I have had over 5 cables... no more! Clearly a defect... In the meantime I have a third party radio charger, no issues in over a year. Also I switched to the adapter to use with my 30 pin cable that still works after all these "years". 5 cables in under 1 year....hmmm. if I get another cable it will be from a third party vender, no choice. $19 a pop for an inferior product worth $7 is too much.

Jul 12, 2014 11:31 PM in response to bmikkers

I too noticed my cable coming apart at the slim end.

The weak point is where the flexible cable enters a rubber sleeve that then joins the plastic little plug.

Because of this flex / rigid joint, the cable tends to bend and twist always at the same point

I made a longer rubber sleeve to cover the damaged area, taped in place, and gained a few more months of bending and twisting.

Now I tell loving lies to my cable when I use it.

You are unique, I love you, please don't leave me ,,,,, so far it has worked ,,,,, lol

Jul 14, 2014 12:02 AM in response to bmikkers

Hey bmikkers, The lighting cables are not as robust as the 30 pin type cables. One... maybe two cables... I would say Apple's fault-- but five?!? Look at your habits. When storing the cable do you roll it up tight or leave it loose. When using the cable do continue to use your device or set it down. If you use it, do you bend, pull, attempt stretch or kink the cable or do you you keep the cable slack avoid kinking or sharply bending the ends or pulling on the cable. When plugging / unplugging the cable be you grab the cable and pull or do you take hold of the end and remove it from the port. These are things (habits) to be aware of. Remember most of the cable is insulation, the wires inside are thinner then a human hair, doesn't take much to break them. One more thing, where I work we having never had to replace 5 of anything. The only time cables needed to be replaced, it was always do to hard handling. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Jul 14, 2014 7:18 AM in response to Bargainhunter

when you disconnect the cable from the phone do you pull the cable or do you pull the lightning plug?

we had posts about breaking cables also back in the pin30 days so since I still have an use all my granted old 30pin cables

I makes me wonder if the people who are experiencing problems just grab the cable and yank it out of the phone

and the people who don't pull the plug itself

Why do all lightning cables brake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.