Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery HD partition after restore from Time Machine?

I I If you do a full restore from a Time Machine drive that has a Recovery HD partition (if the drive's format is GUID), will the resulting system on your internal hard drive have a Recovery HD partition? Or does a Recovery HD partition never get created if doing a full restore from Time Machine?

Thank you.

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 11:12 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2014 11:17 AM in response to DonnaR

This all depends. If you are only restoring the OS X volume then no Recovery HD will be created. If you are repartitioning the drive then installing from scratch, a Recovery HD should be created.

Keep in mind that if you have a Recovery HD saved in your Time Machine backup, it was copied from the one installed on your hard drive. Unless the drive has to be repartitioned the Recovery HD is still intact on your drive. This condition is only different when; a. you repartition the drive; or b. you have replaced the drive.

Apr 1, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you very much for your prompt response! I was referring to a situation where the internal hard drive goes bad and you have to get a new one, and you want to restore directly to that (I'm assuming the new drive might be blank, so OS X would be installed from Time Machine).

In that case, would a Recovery HD partition be created?

Also, when you refer to repartitioning the drive then installing from scratch, do you mean installing OS X, then migrating your data over afterwards?

Thanks again.

Apr 1, 2014 12:09 PM in response to DonnaR

DonnaR wrote:

.....so OS X would be installed from Time Machine).

In that case, would a Recovery HD partition be created?

No. Time Machine does not restore the Recovery HD. You would need to recreate it.

Here are a couple of ways to recreate the Recovery HD.

Download OS X Mountain Lion from the App Store.

1. Execute the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app after downloading from the App Store. This will reinstall ML and create the the ML Recovery HD. Your apps and data will not be touched. Then run Software Update afterwards.

2. Save the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app file to your ~/Downloads folder and download the free Recovery Partition Creator 3.7. When you execute this, you will be prompted where you want this created (i.e. Macintosh HD). It will then ask where your installer app is (~/Downloads). Last it will ask for what OSX (10.7-10.8 or 10.9). Afterwards it will create the Recovery HD. This utility works great. I've used it many times to create a Mountain Lion and Mavericks Recovery HD for clones I made with SuperDuper!. And for Time Machine restores to erased volumes like you want to do.

Apr 1, 2014 12:10 PM in response to DonnaR

In this case you can partition and format the new drive from the Time Machine drive's Recovery HD copy. You can then restore your backup. A new Recovery HD should be created if you perform a fresh installation of OS X rather than doing a full system restore from the Time Machine backup.

Or you can do a basic Internet Recovery if it's supported on your hardware:

About OS X Recovery

OS X- About OS X Recovery

And, lastly, you can create your own full OS X installer:

Make Your Own Mavericks, Mountain/Lion Installer

After downloading the installer you must first save the Install Mac OS X application. After the installer downloads DO NOT click on the Install button. Go to your Applications folder and make a copy of the installer. Move the copy into your Downloads folder. Now you can click on the Install button. You must do this because the installer deletes itself automatically when it finishes installing.

2. Get a USB flash drive that is at least 8 GBs. Prep this flash drive as follows:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
  2. After DU loads select your flash drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the leftside list. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
  3. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list.
  4. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
  5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
  6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to an hour depending upon the flash drive size.

3. Use DiskMaker X to put your installer clone onto the USB flash drive.

Make your own Mavericks flash drive installer using the Mavericks tool:

You can also create a Mavericks flash drive installer via the Terminal. Mavericks has its own built-in installer maker you use via the Terminal:

You will need a freshly partitioned and formatted USB flash drive with at least 8GBs. Leave the name of the flash drive at the system default, "Untitled." Do not change this name. Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder. Copy this command line after the prompt in the Terminal's window:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed to the screen so be careful to enter it correctly. Press RETURN, again.

Wait for the process to complete which will take quite some time.

Apr 1, 2014 12:40 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you both very much. I have an Intel iMac. In your opinion, if I have a Time Machine drive that's formatted as Apple Partition Map, is it worth erasing (or getting another drive) to switch to GUID? Is there any reason other than not being able to boot from the Apple Partition Map drive? (That's OK for me, because I have another that's GUID.) I just want to make sure that Time Machine will work well with Apple Partition Map on an Intel Mac.

Apr 1, 2014 12:46 PM in response to DonnaR

You should not have any issues using the Time Machine backup drive as long as you don't change its use to something other than your Time Machine backup drive. I am a bit surprised that Time Machine even let you use the drive with APM instead of GUID, since the latter is a requirement, I believe. In any event if it's not inconvenient to make the change to GUID, then I would recommend you do that.

Now that you are using Mavericks I would urge you to make a bootable flash drive if you can. Ether you need the Mavericks installer application or you need to re-download it. The latter would require connecting to the App Store from a computer that does not currently have Mavericks installed or if you have an external drive with pre-Mavericks version of OS X installed on it.

Recovery HD partition after restore from Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.