Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie to idvd

The problem with this new technology is that is a terrible media for archaiving anything. Because CEO keep changing the media to make a fast buck before taking the money and running. I've got pictures taken in the civil war that are still here today. In the digital age, you have a hard time going back a decade before you can't retrieve it.

I had settled on tiff's and DVD for archaiving as being the most stable. I like light struck DVD's as being a differn't media than depending on electromagnetic imaging. And I like the way Apple products ease at combining the differnt ways to come up with a final product. It looks like my loyalty to Apple has been challenge, silver halide film had a good run of hundred fifty years, I'm not sure digital is a good replacement, it is to ease to erase. but may have to find another way to archaive. We live in a vapor world.

iMovie '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 1:26 PM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2014 3:29 PM in response to Old Toad

Your right part of that question was a rant on the fustrations with the constant changing. It is hard to get anything into a permant file for the future and I'm afraid to do up dates because all of a sudden progrms that you payed hundreds of dollars for don't work.

Now back to how to use IDVD with IMovie I guess I can hunt up new programs from other manufactures that will let me burn DVD's our take out these new wonder programs and back track to an earlier version. To bad one of the reasons I have kept buying Apple is because I didn't want to go to the expense of replacing expensive programs. If Apple is going to make may do that there is no reason to stick withy there machines. I thouight this was the company.

Apr 2, 2014 5:00 PM in response to olefromumatilla

There are no video DVD authoring applications available for the Mac that are as full featured, easy to so and produce as professional looking video DVDs as iDVD. So if you're looking to create video DVDs use iDVD.

As for getting movies out of iMovie to iDVD with V10 export to file at 480p. Then drag the exported file into an open iDVD project menu window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Those are the general best practice suggestions that I've got to offer. If you have a specific question regarding getting movies to a video DVD let's have it.

iMovie to idvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.