Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had my hard drive replaced and since my Time Machine backups say failed

I had my hard drive replace and since my Time Capsule backups are failing. The exact message is:

The backup was not performed because an error occurred while copying files to the backup disk.

The problem may be temporary. Try again later to back up. If the problem persists, use disk utility to repair your backup disk.

Mac OS X (10.6.8), Time Machine

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 2:16 PM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2014 2:46 PM in response to thegoo2006

No, replacing your hard drive has nothing to do with it. There is a problem with your backup drive. As far as Time Machine is concerned replacing a drive is no different than buying a new computer. Time Machine will need to make a brand new backup from scratch.

If you have a large enough backup drive this may not be a problem. Otherwise, you may not have sufficient space to maintain a new backup and keep the old one. So, I would suggest under the circumstances that you erase your backup drive, then start a new Time Machine backup from scratch.

Drive Erase

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After Disk Utility loads select the volume you wish to format from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

For additional help with Time Machine: Visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with all things Time Machine.

I had my hard drive replaced and since my Time Machine backups say failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.