Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The network connection timed out" Update/Restore using iTunes

Can anyone help with this problem. Ever since IOS 7.0 was released, iTunes is so broken when it comes to updating the software or restoring iPhones. Everytime I try to restore or update I get the error "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone. The network connection timed out." after waiting for the 20min download. For one thing there is nothing wrong with my network connection it's fine, I cannot access the itunes store the whole nine yards, it's just when I need to update or restore the phone. It takes 20 mins to download then it gives me this stupid error. I have tried everything I've seen on the forum that others have tried with disabling virus scanners and other 3rd party software and nothing! The funny thing is, it happens on every computer in the house, even my Mac notebook, so it seems like it's tracking the Baja network connection, but I don't have any problems with anything else we are using, it's just with iTunes. We were using OpenDNS, so I removed that from the router and I still have the some problem. Does anyone know a way around this problem. I am so ready to bail on apple products. Frustrating....

I would appreicate any help in resolving this problem....

Tnx

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 6:29 PM

I figured a way around this problem by manually downloading the IOS 7.1 file into the C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates folder then just executing the restore in iTunes. Since it's already downloaded it just goes right to work on restoring my iPhone and it worked =) I don't know why iTunes can't download the file correctly, but it just doesn't work. I wished Steve Jobs was still in charge, everything has gone south at apple since his passing.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2014 6:29 PM in response to igolfalot

I figured a way around this problem by manually downloading the IOS 7.1 file into the C:\Users\???\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates folder then just executing the restore in iTunes. Since it's already downloaded it just goes right to work on restoring my iPhone and it worked =) I don't know why iTunes can't download the file correctly, but it just doesn't work. I wished Steve Jobs was still in charge, everything has gone south at apple since his passing.

Apr 14, 2014 9:05 PM in response to Gpascott

Did you make sure it was the exact file for your device and the latest version? I just downloaded the latest file for my iPhone4, put it in the folder I mentioned above and it ran the install versus downloading the file. This problem where it times out after downloading is a big Bug within iTunes that has been there ever since IOS 7.0 was released. I wished these apple developers would just fix iTunes. There are a ton of complaints about this issue. I sure miss Steve Jobs running this business, I really feel like it's gone down hill after he left.

I hope this helps!

Regards.

Apr 15, 2014 8:58 AM in response to igolfalot

Thanks for responding.

From where were you able to download the latest file for your device? I got mine from a site on the internet and it said it was the latest version, but maybe not. I agree it is a major bug that Apple needs to get fixed. I was on the phone with a tech from AppleCare. We were trying to restore my iPad to solve a minor problem I had and he saw the download problem. I had him go online and see all of the other people complaining about this, yet when we were through he was going to replace my iPad. Thanks again

"The network connection timed out" Update/Restore using iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.