Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox virus

My web browser is firefox and it would seem that I have got a virus. On certain pages such as links from facebook or links from google I get redirected to a yahoo search or error 404. At first when I open the page, it opens fine everything looks good and then all of a sudden it redirects me.

If I change web browsers and use safari copy and paste the link and open the page, the page is fine. So I tried deleting firefox and re-installing it, but that did not work. I could just use safari, but i fear that it is still somewhere in my mac air and still tracking my web searches and info.

I have a mac air - OSX 10.7.5 Lion

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Firefox

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 8:03 PM

Firefox preferences, extensions and so on are not held in the application itself, so deleting the application will do nothing.

Try resetting the application. From the Help menu, click Troubleshooting, and click the "Reset Firefox" button on the top right.

Let us know if that works...

Matt

4 replies

Apr 2, 2014 3:56 AM in response to K8-ball

Since this is only happening in Firefox, it's probably due to a Firefox add-on you have installed. Select Add-ons from the Tools menu, then examine the Extensions and Plugins lists there. In particular, look for anything here:

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-identification/

If you have any of those add-ons, you need to follow the directions there to remove the adware.

Nov 1, 2015 7:56 PM in response to K8-ball

this answer does not help at all. it is not an extension issue it is a virus that is causeing a yahoo redirect. it happens in all browsers. there are instructions on apple support for how to get rid of it for safari, but no instruction fort how to get rid of it for Firefox. Please somebody post how to get rid of this redirect virus in Firefox.

Nov 2, 2015 5:22 AM in response to derek6193

My answer clearly helped the original poster - yours is a different problem. I'm not sure why you think you have a virus.

The two likeliest options are that you have malware, or that you have a compromised router which has had its DNS settings changed. To check the first, run a scan using Malwarebytes for Mac. To check the second, log into your router and change its DNS either to your ISP's DNS values (if you know them), or to the trusted OpenDNS servers which are 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.

Matt

Firefox virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.