Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will 27" cinema display work with MacPro 1,1, Nvidia GeForce 7300?

I have a MacPro 1,1 (specs below), and when I hook up my new 27" Cinema Display, all I get is a blank screen. The display won't even light up. (It works fine with my newer macbook pro). I've tried connecting it to both port 1 (dual) and port 2 (single). Nothing.

I'm using a

Kanex C247DL Dual DVI to 24 to 27 Inches Apple Cinema Display with 2560x1440 (C247DL) to connect the DVI port to the mini port.

MacPro info:

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

OSX 10.6.8

Graphics card info:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

I've heard rumors that this display won't work with my computer, or that there are firmware upgrades, but nothing I've found so far will work. Please help! I've been craving this monitor for years, and now that I've got it, I can't see anything.

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 8:34 PM

9 replies

Apr 2, 2014 10:32 AM in response to aemapwm

One other thought -- I've read in other discussions here that replacing the Nvidia GeForce 7330 with the ATI Radeon 5770 worked. (Thought those were posts from 2010, and users were having a different problem from my problem.)

However, they said their 27" worked with the 5770, plus they could also use a DVI port for second monitor. Does anyone recommend this if I can't make it work with my adaptors and current card? Or is there a better card now to use?

Thanks again.

Apr 2, 2014 12:39 PM in response to aemapwm

The Kanex C247DL should work with your display and graphics card. Is the Kanex USB cable plugged directly into the computer (not through a hub)? Is the display's Mini DisplayPort plug pushed in all the way (no metal showing)?

Do other displays work with the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT?

If the card works with other displays, and the display woks with other computers, then the Kanex C247DL must be bad.

The ATI Radeon 5770 is a good idea. It would give much better graphics performance, and allow three displays. Be sure to get the Apple version, although it is not easy since Apple no longer sells them.

Apr 2, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Malcolm,

Awesome, you solved my problem, thank you! The USB wasn't plugged in at all. Duh.

However, now the highest resolution I can choose is 1280 x 720, and while I'm pleased to get an image, it looks pretty crummy. Is this a factor of the GeForce 7300?

I wouldn't mind getting the ATI 5770, but only need two monitors and would rather avoid the expense if possible.

Apr 2, 2014 2:41 PM in response to aemapwm

Try the other DVI port on the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. One port is single-link DVI and won't run over 1920 x 1200. The 27" doesn't support that, and will drop to 1280 x 720 with single-link DVI.

If that doesn't work, make sure your Kanex adapter is really a C247DL. They make a single-link version that looks the same. You can't tell by the connector since dual-link connectors are often used for single-link DVI.

Apr 2, 2014 4:26 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Malcolm,

I tried this and the ACD 27" doesn't work at all on the other port, just a blank screen (though this port works fine for my older 20"). I only get an image on the alternate DVI port (labeled '2' on the back of the MacPro), but 1280x720 is the highest option. I confirmed from the packaging that I'm using a dual-link Kanex C247DL.

I'm starting to wonder if I should return the Kanex and extension cord to Amazon, and instead buy the ATI 5770. Price-wise it would be about a wash. I need to make sure first that this would cause no problems using After Effects CS6 or Final Cut Pro 7, which is the main purpose for this machine.

Would you advise getting a 5770 instead?

Thank you again for your guidance.

Will 27" cinema display work with MacPro 1,1, Nvidia GeForce 7300?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.