Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updates for previously paid for apps that address stability issues, bug fixes, other improvements that a customer is entitled to

Why is the policy of Apple to prohibit customers from downloading FREE updates for previously paid for apps that address stability issues, bug fixes and other improvements that a customer is entitled to because the customer does not currently have a credit card on file that they can verify has an available balance??? I can understand it even for free apps or apps on sale or because most of those apps depend on in-app purchases but COME ON. Where is the ethics in that policy? Where is the consumer protection? Especially considering the ONLY marketplace to receive these third party products is through apple. INSANE.

Wasted another 3 or 4 hours today trying to find a solution. I am unable to provide alternative payment method and money is tight for next 2 weeks but this is temporary. It's not as if I will never be purchasing more apps and apple products in the future. I have been a loyal apple customer since the days when Power!ac 9500 retailed for $8,000.00. Another words for a very long time.

Anyone else find this to be a legitimate issue?

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2014 10:25 PM

2 replies

Apr 1, 2014 10:31 PM in response to digndeeper

A periodic verification of payment method for the protection of the account holder. How many stories do we see in the forums about how little Johnny spent $500 on candy crush?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my payment method is set to NONE. I use iTunes gift cards. But I am prompted to verify my payment method every now and then.

I understand the inconvenience you are experiencing, and I do feel for you. But the verification is for YOUR protection on YOUR account.

Apr 2, 2014 1:48 AM in response to ssschmidt

I am all for any instance where I am asked to verify my account or Apple ID. The issue is that I am being denied delivery of a beneficial update of a premium, already paid for app... Because I am (at the moment) maxxed out with my credit card I have associated with my Apple ID.

There are four different (full version) paid for apps that just all released major updates. The third party developers offer the updates for free to customers who have purchased the full version of the app and the update includes stability improvements, iOS 7 comparability, bug fixes and expanded functionality.

These are not apps that, in total, cost over $100... And that I use every day.

Never had an issue with being required to verify my account or Apple ID.

updates for previously paid for apps that address stability issues, bug fixes, other improvements that a customer is entitled to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.