Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Going from FCP 7 to FCP X...

I've decided to jump to FCP X. I found this app that can convert FCP 7 XML file so that FCP X can read them.

User uploaded file

It's $10 USD in the app store.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/7toX/about.html

Until I learn more about FCP X, I can do my edits, added audio and texts (and want-nots) in FCP 7. Export the XML file and import the edited files into FCP X to finish up. (FCP X has a better color corrector compared to FCP 7.)

Here's a video about how to use the app...

http://youtu.be/sk4eTu5nEWc?t=19m30s

_

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 27" 3.4GHz Quad-Core i7-SSD-2 GB HD

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 6:03 AM

Welcome to FCP X :-)

For anyone making the transition, using this $10 application to bring stuff from 7 to X is a no-brainer. Keep in mind that it may bring 99% of things, but some things, like effects without an obvious counterpart, may fail to cross over.

Take the time to learn FCP X. It is different. Do not try to make it work like 7, and you will be rewarded.

There are many wonderful resources out there.

I bet that in a short time you won't be starting FCP 7 much.

And, of course, you can count on people in this community for help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2014 6:03 AM in response to David M Brewer

Welcome to FCP X :-)

For anyone making the transition, using this $10 application to bring stuff from 7 to X is a no-brainer. Keep in mind that it may bring 99% of things, but some things, like effects without an obvious counterpart, may fail to cross over.

Take the time to learn FCP X. It is different. Do not try to make it work like 7, and you will be rewarded.

There are many wonderful resources out there.

I bet that in a short time you won't be starting FCP 7 much.

And, of course, you can count on people in this community for help.

Apr 2, 2014 6:48 PM in response to David M Brewer

David,

For the first 6-9 months after FCP x was released I couldn't see any reason to change from FCS and I only occasionally experimented with it out of curiosity. After the 10.0.3 update I did some projects partially in 7 and partially in X. I straddled the fence up to the time when 10.6 was released. I then committed to learning it and making it my primary editor. By mid last year. I had essentially completed the transition. Now the time I spend with the legacy FCP is limited to the odd re-edit of an archived FCP 6 or 7 project. And it feels kind of strange to be working in those earlier versions.

Hope you enjoy the transition experience, which I suspect will go a lot

faster than mine did.

Russ

Going from FCP 7 to FCP X...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.