Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Erase Failed

Hello,

I have 1TB WD external hard drive connected directly to my macbook pro, I have always used it without problems, but recently it was not recognized! I went to disk utility to format the drive but I get "Disk Erase failed" "Disk Erase failed with the error: unable to write to the last block of the device", I tried going to partition but it also gave the same answer. The status of the disk in the bottom are as follows:

Name : WD Elements 1042 Media

Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

Disk Identifier : disk1

Media Name : WD Elements 1042 Media

Media Type : Generic

Connection Bus : USB

USB Serial Number : 575846314137323034303939

Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/XHC1@14

Writable : Yes

Ejectable : Yes

Total Capacity : 1 TB (1,000,202,043,392 Bytes)

Disk Number : 1

Partition Number : 0

S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 1:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 4:12 AM

The drive may be defective. You can try repartitioning it before the format to see if that helps, but if not the drive or the SATA controller in the enclosure is bad. I'd guess the drive. Try formatting as a single GUID partition, OS X Extended (Journaled) NOT case sensitive and see if you get anywhere.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2014 4:12 AM in response to jeffahkoy

The drive may be defective. You can try repartitioning it before the format to see if that helps, but if not the drive or the SATA controller in the enclosure is bad. I'd guess the drive. Try formatting as a single GUID partition, OS X Extended (Journaled) NOT case sensitive and see if you get anywhere.

Disk Erase Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.