Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network preferences: symbol and text swapped

Hello,

On our new MacBook Pro with Mavericks the Wi-Fi symbol and Ethernet symbol are swapped with the text. After the word Wi-Fi the icon Ethernet is displayed and after the word Ethernet the icon Wi-Fi is displayed.

How can this be put in correct order ?

Thanks,

Hubert

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 9:14 AM

I was actually chatting with Apple Support about exactly this problem when I found the answer while simultaneously digging around on the Internet. This discussion at the MacRumors forum has the answer:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1533959

To quote:

Click the gear icon below those names and select "Rename Service" to edit the name.

Because you can't have two things named the same thing, I started by naming the actual Ethernet service "cow". Then I correctly renamed "Wi-Fi", then I correctly renamed "Ethernet".

In my case, this oddity showed up after migrating data from an older Mavericks Mac. Reinstalling and even Combo updating Mavericks changed nothing regarding this situation. Simply swap the service names back!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2014 9:14 AM in response to HubertA

I was actually chatting with Apple Support about exactly this problem when I found the answer while simultaneously digging around on the Internet. This discussion at the MacRumors forum has the answer:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1533959

To quote:

Click the gear icon below those names and select "Rename Service" to edit the name.

Because you can't have two things named the same thing, I started by naming the actual Ethernet service "cow". Then I correctly renamed "Wi-Fi", then I correctly renamed "Ethernet".

In my case, this oddity showed up after migrating data from an older Mavericks Mac. Reinstalling and even Combo updating Mavericks changed nothing regarding this situation. Simply swap the service names back!

Network preferences: symbol and text swapped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.