Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where has "Replace on next sync..." gone?

I remember in previous versions of iTunes (now using v11), when I connected my iPhone for syncing there used to a set of checkboxes towards the bottom of the summary tab/page that allowed me to select specific data sets to wipe and replace for the next sync only.
This was actually quite a handy feature as the calendar data used to corrupt somewhat regularly and when cosmic rays caused bits to flip on my iPhone and songs would start breaking I would just replace the calendars/music on next sync and the problem was solved.

When I browse the "On This iPhone" tab when it's connected I'm able to view what's loaded but not edit/alter. Selecting a song and pressing delete/command+delete has no effect and the contextual menu is void of a remove/delete option.

I can't find those checkboxes anymore; how can I replicate this behaviour?

It is still possible?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 3:53 AM

8 replies

Apr 2, 2014 4:39 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris,
Thank you for the reminder about which service is currently synchronising what data (I had forgotten of iCloud's involvement), but it's unclear how your reply helps answer my question.

Perusing the iCloud section of System Preferences it's not obvious that those checkboxes replicate the replace on next sync functionality; I suspect they don't.
I was under the impression that were I to deselect one of those checkboxes it would simply remove iCloud from the process of managing that data on this device and remove the data (a dialog box prompting as much confirms this).
I can see how, from my iPhone, I might be able to replace the calendar data by turning off iCloud calendar sync, having iOS7 then delete my data and then re-enabling it (rather cumbersome for what used to be a two-click operation), but this still doesn't get me any closer to refreshing the music on my iPhone.

Any more suggestions?

Apr 2, 2014 4:44 PM in response to aka Lex

aka Lex wrote:

but it's unclear how your reply helps answer my question.

Perusing the iCloud section of System Preferences it's not obvious that those checkboxes replicate the replace on next sync functionality; I suspect they don't.

Correct.

There is no "next sync" of iCloud data. It updates everywhere when you update your data anywhere.

Update it on your computer, your device or iCloud.com and itr will get pushed to the other devices.

but this still doesn't get me any closer to refreshing the music on my iPhone

Music is not sync'd via iCloud.

Music is sync'd via iTunes.

Plug in the iPhone, select it in iTunes, click the Music tab and select what music you want to sync.

Apr 2, 2014 5:28 PM in response to Chris CA

Music is not sync'd via iCloud.

Music is sync'd via iTunes.

Plug in the iPhone, select it in iTunes, click the Music tab and select what music you want to sync.

Chris,
Thank you for reminding me of the blatantly obvious. I would have assumed that when one read my original post one would have realised that I don't experience any difficulty actually getting music onto my iPhone, perhaps I assumed too much. I am however experiencing difficulty replacing corrupted music as easily as I used to be able to.

If you know for sure that's it's no longer possible to replace on next sync, please say so, if you don't, please say "I don't actually know."

I would then be left to assume that the only way refresh the music on my iPhone is through a two sync cycle of manually removing music from the sync process in iTunes, syncing, then manually re-selecting my custom music sync choices and syncing again.

Apr 2, 2014 6:41 PM in response to aka Lex

Chris,

Thank you for reminding me of the blatantly obvious.

No worries here.

Sometimes you can get lost in what you are trying to do and you overlook the obvious.

Glad I could help! 🙂

If you know for sure that's it's no longer possible to replace on next sync, please say so, if you don't, please say "I don't actually know."

SINCE THERE IS NO SYNCING OF CONTACTS/CALENDARS WITH ITUNES AND MAVERICKS, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO "replace on next sync".

Just update the info on your computer, iCloud.com or your iDevice and it will update everywhere else.

I would then be left to assume that the only way refresh the music on my iPhone is through a two sync cycle of manually removing music from the sync process in iTunes, syncing, then manually re-selecting my custom music sync choices and syncing again.

You can assume what you want.

I'd simply sync the iPhone and it'll update music as needed.

Apr 2, 2014 7:30 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris,
I understand how iCloud now handles the syncing of contacts and calendars and indicated as much in my reply above. I even suggested how I might be able to refresh my calendar data (more than you were able to do).

You are yet to provide any useful information regarding the replacement of corrupted music as easy as it used to be. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my posts above. If I need to use caps lock to get it through to you, please let me know.

It surprises me that despite your Level 9 status and 72k+ points you are still unable to either comprehend the issue or admit that you don't know. I'm more accustomed to technical forums (think any of the StackExchange family) where the points system is less gamified and thus more valuable; where correct and good responses are given points, and the most points given to the best response. Perhaps an example would help?

In my situation it seems that the correct response is:
"Replace on next sync" has been completely removed from the iTunes feature set never to be heard of again and the behaviour it supplied is no longer achievable be any means.

A good response would look something like:
"Replace on next sync" has been completely removed from the iTunes feature set but if you research *this* area or follow *these* steps you might be able to achieve the behaviour you desire.

The best response might be:
"Replace on next sync" has been completely removed from the iTunes UI feature set. However, the flags that control the underlying behaviour are still present and here is the Terminal command to enable them...

Now if this was a truly ridiculous points system I'd be able to upvote my own posts... oh wait.

Apr 2, 2014 8:26 PM in response to aka Lex

aka Lex wrote:

You are yet to provide any useful information regarding the replacement of corrupted music as easy as it used to be.

Nothing has changed in how music is sync'd. No idea of what you mean by "corrupted".

Restore your iPhone then sync it again.

It surprises me that despite your Level 9 status and 72k+ points you are still unable to either comprehend the issue or admit that you don't know

Thanks!

How do you expect to "relace on next sync" if there is no sync (of contacts)?

I'm more accustomed to technical forums (think any of the StackExchange family) where the points system is less gamified and thus more valuable; where correct and good responses are given points, and the most points given to the best response.

If you are worried about points, perhaps you should go post there...

Points here are awarded solely by the person who started the thread. Points are not awarded by number of posts or anything esle.

You start the thread, you like the response, you give the points.

The best response might be:

"Replace on next sync" has been completely removed from the iTunes UI feature set. However, the flags that control the underlying behaviour are still present and here is the Terminal command to enable them...

Okay, how's this?

Sync Services has been removed in Mac OS X 10.9 - Mavericks.

Therefore, it is impossible for iTunes (when using Mavericks) to use Sync Services to "Replace on next sync".

You want a suggestion on how to use Terminal commands to enable something that does not exist?

Kinda pointless...

Now if this was a truly ridiculous points system I'd be able to upvote my own posts.

Good thing it's not a truly ridiculous points system then and only actually useful (as decided by the thread starter) posts will get points.

You can "upvote" your own posts but you do not get any points.

But good luck with sorting out your issues!

Apr 2, 2014 11:13 PM in response to Chris CA

Hahaha, Chris you are entertaining to say the least!

No idea of what you mean by "corrupted".

The first meaningful whit of information indicating your unsuitability to respond to my question.

But all that aside, Chris I do honestly thank you for your time and energy in responding to my queries and apologise for any unwarranted frustration.

Where has "Replace on next sync..." gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.