Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac doesn't start up MAC OS X after replacing a new Hard disk

Hello,my imac's hard disk was broken. I changed it with a new exactly same type and brand hard disk. After chancing, I tried to format it with mac format dvd, but I couldn't it. When I started the imac, it stuck on apple logo and after 5 minutes shows the folder with question mark. I purchased external enclosure. I formatted a new hard disk with using external enclosure. I mount new hard disk to imac. It still doesn't start up. When I put a new hard disk into enclosure to connect another imac, it shows up. I don't understand what the problem is.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 5:31 AM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2014 6:29 AM in response to rack0 tack0

yeap it is original Mac Format DVD.

yes I used Disk Utility to attempt the partition and format of the new HDD

When I mount back old HDD, it still works but it is very slow working. The problem should not be about the data cable.

PS: the old HDD is not completetly broken, it works but it is very slow working.

I got my old HDD back up with using time machine, I tried to format using time machine. When starting up imac, I press option key, it doens't show up anything, it stuck on apple logo.

Thanks

Imac doesn't start up MAC OS X after replacing a new Hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.