Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd Text Distortion in FCPX

Hey All,

Been receontly been having an issue with text effects being oddly distorted in Final Cut X. Happens randomly in all projects in different libraries. Sometimes if I delete the effect and re-do it, it fixes itself... sometimes if I shut down FCPX and restart it fixes itself... preference delete sometimes helps... but it always seems to come back, and not always in the same instance of the text effect.

Anyone else been seeing this issue? Here's a screenshot... notice how the text looks in the upper right corner of the viewer...

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Final Cut X, Final Cut 7

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 8:12 AM

36 replies

Apr 2, 2014 1:01 PM in response to jcmurphy1971

I have had this problem too ! Actually this is why i'm looking on discussions right now.

It appeared for me after a big crash caused by plugins... I tried to restart FCP X, but this doesn't always solved the problem...

but deleting all rendered files from event can help it as well...

Try rendering the odd text, and see if you still have the problem once done.

Until now, iI couldn't find the origin of this problem, but always could avoid it on the master edit.

Good luck !

Apr 2, 2014 1:17 PM in response to Perl1p1p1

The odd thing about the issue is that it will occur in un-rendered and rendered material. One thing I noticed today is that if I apply say a text Blur build effect to a timeline, then go into inspector to select the text font, the distortion will even show itself in the viewer as I'm scrolling through the font list. It's becoming a real issue because the distortion is coming out in the final export file as well.

Apr 3, 2014 11:48 AM in response to jcmurphy1971

I just had this problem again, but for me, rendering solved the issue...

Do you try deleting all rendered files from event before render ?

EDIT :

no, you're right, rendering doesn't totally solve this problem...

But i deleted all rendered files, then closed FCPX, then when i restarted, all was ok...

EDIT 2 :

actually, no, it wasn't 😝

so then i deleted rendered files, closed, restarted, rendered the text, and now it's ok...

But anway, it would be more interesting to find the origin of the problem, than random procedure to avoid it.

I'm surprised not more people have this problem...

Apr 15, 2014 5:05 AM in response to chestnutcow

So it's been a little over a week since a full uninstall/reinstall of FCPX... text issue has not returned yet. I also have not reinstalled all of my plugins just yet. Not sure if it's a plugin causing the issue, FCPX creating corrupt render files, or a combo of both. Who knows. But at this point I'm clean and running fine. I'll report back if the issue returns.

Apr 16, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Perl1p1p1

At the moment I have only installed my FX Factory and Red Giant plugins which are the ones that I use the most often. No issues just yet.

I also heard back from Apple today regarding the crash reports that they took from my crash log... they tell me that there is no difinitive reason why FCPX was having the issues I was experinceing based on the logs.

Apr 19, 2014 1:55 PM in response to Perl1p1p1

So the distorted text has returned. I uninstalled Universe and the issue still persists. What's odd is that when I first apply the text effect, it's fine. If I come back to it later to make adjustments, then the distortion occurs. If I COMMAND Z to undo, the issue goes away and my original settings animate fine.

Very strange. I will continue my case with Apple Care and see what they can come up with.

Apr 21, 2014 3:24 AM in response to jcmurphy1971

I too having the same problem on a £5500 brand new 8Core MAcPro!! Using FX Factory, several other title plugins but never had issue with them until today. Looks to me an FCPX issue as my plugins (that Ive used and had for some time, and my own created ones), have never given issue.

The title below is one created by myself though this happens on practically ALL FCPX stock titles.

User uploaded file

Odd Text Distortion in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.