Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade Airport Extreme Firmware

Setup:

• Airport Extreme running latest firmware 7.7.2 -- Acting as WiFi Base Station
  • Airport Express running latest firmware 7.6.4 -- Acting as an extenter / repeater for above Extreme Base Station's SSID.

** The house is too large for only the Extreme. I also need the Express to extend the range. **

Management Tool used:

Airport Utility 5.6.1 for Windows

Issue 1:

Ever since I upgraded the Extreme to firmware 7.7.2, the combination with the Express (at 7.6.4) is producing multiple WiFi signal dropouts and apparent incompatibilities. Some WiFi clients (running Apple OS / MAC or IOS) seem to be fine. But Windows / PC products (two proven thus far, XP and Win7 with built-in Intel WiFi hardware) are having the worst problems dealing with dropout in signals and refusal to re-connect once it's been disconnected. Even running the latest Intel drivers.

For instance, even the tool "Airport Utility 5.6.1 for Windows" can no longer detect either the Extreme or the Express from a Windows 7 laptop with hardware Intel 5100 AGN using the WiFi signal --- whereas it used to detect it every time before upgrading to 7.7.2.

To fix this problem, I would like to DOWNGRADE the Extreme back to 7.6.4, the same firmware as the Express.

However --

Issue 2:

1. When manually configuring the Extreme using the Airport Utility 5.6.1 for Windows and pointing to the correct IP address, with the correct password (File / Configure Other), I can only downgrade to 7.7.1, not the earlier 7.6.4.
  2. I could manually flash using the 7.6.4 firmware IFI was able to download it.
  3. Unfortunately, the firmware 7.6.4 file is notavailable for a manual download -- http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1673

Conclusion:

Kindly tell me WHERE I could manually download the 7.6.4 firmware file, so I could manually downgrade this Extreme.

Or else, kindly indicate how else I am supposed to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:06 AM

To fix this problem, I would like to DOWNGRADE the Extreme back to 7.6.4, the same firmware as the Express.

Part...or all...of the issue here may likely be that you are not meeting the System Requirements for the AirPort Extreme listed below in the Specifications of the product:

Setup and Administration

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 6 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3
  • Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3

http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/specs/

But, even if you have the correct configuration software, you cannot go back any further in firmware than the device was originally supplied with.....which would be 7.7.1.

Suggest that you contact Apple Support if you want to ask about any future firmware updates. On a user-to-user forum, no one here will have that kind of information.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2014 10:06 AM in response to PBCConsulting

Part...or all...of the issue here may likely be that you are not meeting the System Requirements for the AirPort Extreme listed below in the Specifications of the product:

Setup and Administration

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 6 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3
  • Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3

http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/specs/

But, even if you have the correct configuration software, you cannot go back any further in firmware than the device was originally supplied with.....which would be 7.7.1.

Suggest that you contact Apple Support if you want to ask about any future firmware updates. On a user-to-user forum, no one here will have that kind of information.

Apr 2, 2014 8:08 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Update:

I am making very slow progress. I am now fully capable of using the Airport Utility 5.6.1 for Windows, and it detects the devices right away. That first issue seems to have been that my laptop was not running BONJOUR anymore, something I understand is absolutely necessary in order to manage the Airports.

Not all issues are fixed, and I have taken this into a different forum dealing with Wintel, as I feel this is a new incompatibility issue between Intel built-in network adapters and Airport of the AC type.

I will update further when I have more info, but for now you can follow my progress here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529754/intel-wifi-suddenly-angry-with-a pple-airport-extreme-ac/

Mar 29, 2015 5:26 PM in response to PBCConsulting

The Company I work for is completely mac. We have no issues with our computers connecting to the airport extemes.

NOW THAT BEING SAID

We have started a new joint venture which happens to be completely PC based. ALL (EVERY SINGLE PC) (quantity 79) hp Probook 6570b & 640G1 computers drop wifi comming from the apple AP.

UNLESS- - -

I disable the Wireless N band. Which dramatically reduces our speed. But Alas this is what we have been left with.

Mar 29, 2015 6:40 PM in response to Rodeolove

Intel wireless is renowned for bad drivers even when used in an environment devoid of apple stuff. You need several versions of the drivers as the latest might be worse than earlier one..

When apple adopted Intel chipsets you notice they use processors and bridge sets.. but no intel wireless cards in anything.

I strongly recommend you simply add a standard WAP to your setup.. when PC have issues.. that is due to real differences between how Apple is using wireless and PC operation.. if you already have lots of apple routers in place.. that is fine.. just buy a few WAP and plug them in.. otherwise a wireless router like Asus or Netgear with AC wireless work super.

Downgrade Airport Extreme Firmware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.