Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages freezes when closing a document

Whenever I try to close Pages 5.2 (1860) by using the red x in the document window, the program freezes and I have to do a force quit. Any idea why this is happening? This was also happening before the last 2 updates.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 9:31 AM

46 replies

May 7, 2014 10:08 PM in response to wiley2770

We have been experiencing this too, and have isolated it to something to do with the Print dialog. Here's our test:

1. Open Pages

2. Choose Print

3. Cancel

4. Try to close document

5. Crash!

We then found that if we deleted all printers, and repeated the above, it worked fine. So, our conclusion is that something that is occurring in the print dialog is enough to cause Pages to crash when the document closes.

Can you see if the same applies to you?

May 8, 2014 8:09 PM in response to jaydisc

YES! I had never made this connection before because it was so rare that Pages didn't crash on me that I didn't believe I could replicate instances of "non-crashing" window closing. But I opened eight or ten documents and closed them just fine as long as I didn't print or open the print dialog box. However, when I ran through jaydisc procedure, I experienced crashes EVERY TIME. I almost always print the document I'm working on so that's why it seems like it happens all the time.

So why is this happening and how can it be fixed? Is it a particular printer? Obviously not everyone is having this problem. What is the common denominator? Have you had any help from Apple's iWork team on this? I have sent them logs and documents but still haven't heard back from them.

May 8, 2014 9:47 PM in response to tkoes

In our case, we have deleted all printers, and it works. But as soon as we add one printer, regardless of whether we print to it, we get this problem. The printers we use are from Sharp, so I theorized that it might have somethign to do with their drivers, but we don't have the problem in Numbers, so I still think it's a Pages bug. What brand of printers do you have installed? Can you selectively delete and add them back and see if the issue is tied to a specific printer or make of printer?

I have not reported this to Apple yet as I'm still collecting evidence.

May 9, 2014 4:56 AM in response to jaydisc

"Sharp" may be the common denominator. We have a new Sharp printer/copier at the office. I'm going to experiement today and try deleting and then adding printers. I have a canon at home and perhaps I can isolate the problem to one printer. We also don't have any problems with Keynote or even (sad to say) Office for Mac. Only Pages.

May 9, 2014 6:59 AM in response to jaydisc

So I deleted just the Sharp printer and I am having no problems. I still have four other printers installed (cannon, HP laser, Hp inkjet, and Epson) So it is definitely the Sharp.

Now is it only a particular Sharp model or all of them. We have a MX2616. How do we go about addressing this issue? I'm going to start by calling Sharp

May 21, 2014 7:34 PM in response to jaydisc

I have deleted the printer and then reinstalled it and had the same problem again. So I'm not sure what is going on. I called our Sharp tech guy and he called it in to the company. He told me they were trying to replicate the issue using the same equipment, OS, and Pages version as I had. He was supposed to get back to me on Monday.

So if I do indeed hear anything from them, I will let you know. For now I've learned to not close very many documents until the end of the day 😟

May 21, 2014 7:37 PM in response to tkoes

I, too, have reported it to our Sharp guy who has been able to recreate the issue. I've also filed a bug with Apple, radar: 16956035. Oooh! I just noticed that it's been flagged as a duplicate of 16978438. Glad to see there are other similar reports. As always, the more reports, the higher the priority. File away! bugreport.apple.com.

Pages freezes when closing a document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.