Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimal Performance SSD Option for Early 2011 15in MBP

Hello,

I have an early 2011 MBP (15 Inch) which already sunds on an SSD, but it's too small.

I'm considering an upgrade.

I was told by a tech that Mac have issues with all but Sandforce Controllers (I/O inconsistency otherwise).

He recommended the OWC Electra pro 480 GB. It seems like an old drive ( i see references to it from 2011)

Before that conversation, i was considering the latest Samsung 840 Pro and the Plextor M5 Pro Extreme, both in the 512 MB flavor (or possibly 256)

I'm looking for top performance and don't mind paying a little extra, if it's worth it.

I'm using photoshop and other pro apps with a lot of heavy files.

What you thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:33 AM

Sandforce controllers are the worst for use on a Mac - Samsung's proprietary controller or a Marvell controller is what you want. The 840 Pro is an excellent SSD - I just buy Crucial mid-of-the-road when it comes to raw speed) because I can get a higher capacity, reliable drive at a reasonable price.

Clinton

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Badsektor

Sandforce controllers are the worst for use on a Mac - Samsung's proprietary controller or a Marvell controller is what you want. The 840 Pro is an excellent SSD - I just buy Crucial mid-of-the-road when it comes to raw speed) because I can get a higher capacity, reliable drive at a reasonable price.

Clinton

Apr 2, 2014 4:10 PM in response to Badsektor

There were some problems, when the EVO series was first released, with it playing well with Macs. That's in the past now, though, and I think it a particularly good drive for the money. The 840 Pro is certainly a faster drive but I've no doubt that you would not even notice the speed increase of the 840 Pro over the EVO.

You do get a 5-year warranty on the 840 Pro vs a 3-year warranty on the EVO, but I wouldn't let that be too much of a concern.

Save your money for other things and go with the EVO - I don't think that you'll regret it.

Clinton

Apr 2, 2014 5:20 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

At first, I put a 120 GB Adata 511 to give a second life into a 2008 MBP I had.

Then when I upgraded to a reburbished Early 2011, I transfered the same SSD as primary and moved the 750 HDD into the optical slot.

The 120 GB SSD became too small. I moved everything I could to the secondary drive, but i would still get space issues with swap files.

The move was prompted by the lack of space, but I am curious what kind of performance difference i'll notice.

Apr 2, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Badsektor

Larger capacity drives - such as the EVO 500 - will be over twice as fast as a 120GB. So you'll notice the difference.

I don't know if you've given thought as to how to transfer your data but since you're going from a smaller capacity drive to a larger capacity, you may want to purchase an inexpensive USB enclosure so that you can clone your old drive to your new (I use Carbon Copy Cloner).

Clinton

Optimal Performance SSD Option for Early 2011 15in MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.