Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I record guitar directly into my macbook pro "13 retina display laptop inexpensively?

I have an array of guitars, none compatible with MIDI, but I want to record electric & electro acoustic into garage band, whilst still able to use my stomp boxes. How can I go about doing so? I can't find a Mic socket on the Mac, is the headphones one compatible with audio in?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 9:58 AM

6 replies

Apr 2, 2014 12:20 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks for confirming the problem with the headphone port, Frank. My 17" MBPs still have a line-in port.

I am using the iMic myself if I need an additional line-in for recording vinyl records or similar, but for playing a a guitar it might be problematic because of latency.

HangTime reported to have encountered up to half a second of latency with the iMic.

See Re: How can I play my electric guitar through GB?

For my electric guitar I am using the Apogee Jam, but other not quite so expensive audio interfaces might do as well.

Apr 3, 2014 2:55 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Apple did away with analog audio in a while ago.

That's not true. They did away the proper label on that jack. It functions as an Input OR Output. You just can't use both at the same time. It is no called an "Audio Port". The headphone label might be a bit misleading.

Here is a screenshot of the System Preferences - Sound

User uploaded file

Just use the right cable and plug it into your compuer. Make sure to adjust the level properly.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

<Link Edited by Host>

How can I record guitar directly into my macbook pro "13 retina display laptop inexpensively?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.