Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I update my iPhone?

My Verizon iPhone update Failed! All it does is blink the apple logo and nothing else! How can I update it?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, Traveling to Italy and need to know

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:20 AM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2014 10:56 AM in response to brad805

after doing the 20 second wait with both buttons down, iTunes is looking at it and trying to update it.

iTunes just said this device isn't eligible for the requested build.

iTunes pointed me to TS4451 which says to update /private/etc/hosts to include "# 17.151.36.30<tab>gs.apple.com

This did not help!

iTunes failed to restore the original software and now I am stuck!

I repeated this process and iTunes still tells me "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

But my problem is I cannot use my iPhone anymore!

Apr 8, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Lu Digiovanni

This is Lucio , I found out why I could not update my iPhone!

I am running an old MacBookPro laptop than CANNOT install the latest iTunes to correctly use the later iPhone update that I DID not need on my iPhone and LATER found out that my iPhone could be reloaded with the newer iTunes that DOES NOT run on my MacBookPro!

I fixed my iPhone from a PC that could run the newest iTune!

I ALMOST got rid of my iPhone and my MacBookPro because APPLE does not care about their OLD customers that want to use their LITTLE order hardware!

Why can't I update my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.