Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to create a mail folder.

I'm trying to create a mail folder. However, when I go into New Mailbox and press Save, it says 'The mailbox couldn't be created on the server.' What can I do about this?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:10 AM

2 replies

Apr 2, 2014 10:44 AM in response to Ottilie1

what kind of email account do you have? If you have a imap type - you can do just what you described, and the folder you create will be replicated on any other devices. If you have a pop e mail account, - you cannot. That is pretty much a one way mailbox. gmail, as an example, is Imap. Comcatst.net - last time I looked, was pop.

Apr 2, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Ottilie1

If you get the New. Mailbox option at the bottom of the window, then you obviously do have an IMAP account otherwise that option would not appear for you to use.

You our could try actually creating the mailbox on the server and it should sync to the mail app. You could try doing it directly on the iPad by logging into your webmail account in Safari and see if you can create the folder/mailbox there. If that doesn't work, you can do it on a computer.

One other thing that you might try is just to quit the mail app completely and then reset the device. That might refresh the setting in the mail app and allow it to work.

In order to close the mail app, Drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

I am trying to create a mail folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.