Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my macbook turn off? Now won't turn back on.

A couple of nights ago a system error came up along the lines of "An error occured, your system needs to shut down" and had the options of cancel and shut down below it. I cancelled a couple of times but realised it would keep doing it so shut it down. Since then it hasn't turned back on, has a dim light on the charger but the battery indicator lights are constantly on showing that there's charge (without me pressing the button).

Does anyone have any idea what mightve happened? I'd never seen this kind of error before.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 10:27 AM

Possible logic board, or SSD failure, several other options exist.

Since its impossible to powerup, further diagnosis is impossible.

Contact Apple for appt. for free in shop diagnostics and likely repair of your 2012 Macbook Air.

😊

4 replies

Apr 2, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Turnitdown

Turnitdown wrote:

I'm worried it is to do with water damage though, I spilled a little over two or 3 keys (literally) the same evening. But would it warn me it was going to turn itself off if it was water damage?

Thats likely it then to be sure.

Warn you, no. There are no computers that report back "youve spilled something inside"

There are physical spill sensors inside, but theyre passive indicators.

Apr 2, 2014 11:01 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

PlotinusVeritas wrote:

Turnitdown wrote:

I'm worried it is to do with water damage though, I spilled a little over two or 3 keys (literally) the same evening. But would it warn me it was going to turn itself off if it was water damage?

Thats likely it then to be sure.

Warn you, no. There are no computers that report back "youve spilled something inside"

There are physical spill sensors inside, but theyre passive indicators.

But it told me it was going to switch off before it did? That to me sounds like a software rather than a hardware failure?

Why did my macbook turn off? Now won't turn back on.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.