Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no volumes found in backup

I have a 27inch iMac running Mavericks and a recent Time Capsule to provide backup using Time Machine. My hard disk failed and has been replaced by Apple Store but when I come to restore my data from back up, I get the message 'No Volumes found in backup'. I knoe the Time Capsule is holding 400Gb of data so what does it mean....and can I get my data back?

Regards

Richard

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Exernal speakers

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 11:28 AM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2014 11:57 AM in response to Richard Prossor

When you restarted the Mac with the hard drive that had been replaced, Setup Assistant should have appeared first, asking if you wanted to transfer files from another Mac or a Time Machine backup to the "new" Mac.

If Setup Assistant did not appear, or it appeared and you bypassed it, I would suggest that you return the Mac to the Apple Store so that they can reinstall the operating system again on the Mac.

As long as you are doing that, take the Time Capsule to the Apple Store as well and ask them to set up your Mac using the Time Machine backup.

For more information about Setup Assistant, see Pondini's excellent support materials on this subject:

http://pondini.org/TM/19.html

The same information would apply to the Mavericks operating system.

no volumes found in backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.