Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you export separate audio tracks for Pro Tools?

I need to give separate audio tracks to my sound mixer but am confused on how to do so in FCP X.

So far I've:

Set the dialogue roles and stems for each character

Then I went into Master File>Settings

Selected:

"Format: Audio Only"

"Audio File Format: Wav File"

"Roles as: Audio only as separate files"

"Dialogue"

• Sara
  • "Stereo"

And when I export and listen back to the wav file, there is either no audio or I hear select dialogue.

The only thing I can think of that I am doing wrong, is that each characters dialogue is not on the same track like the picture below. The tracks highlighted is of one character's dialogue that I am trying to export onto one linear track to export into Pro Tools.

Can tracks be assigned in FCP X? Or is there a crucial step that I am forgetting tthat explains why the audio for each character is not being exported.

Thanks!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 12:47 PM

9 replies

Apr 2, 2014 6:35 PM in response to Shelise Harlempieny

If you're dumping audio for ProTools, you should be able to export XML for use in PT. Haven't done it myself, but the option's been there for a while now. You should be able to find instructions easily.

If you want to stick with making Roles work, I suggest making sure the roles are assigned properly to each clip. Kind of a super pain in the neck, to go one by one, but ... that's the way. There are key commands for the three default roles, but if you've created custom ones then it's more time consuming. Is that 'Sara' one a custom Role that you've created?

My only thought is you have compound audio clips there. Maybe go in and set the roles on the individual files inside the compound clips. Dunno...

The visual organization shouldn't matter (one track above another). That's the X way.

((In your picture, you say you have some files selected. When I select, I get a yellow border; yours are light green and dark green. What is that?))

Apr 2, 2014 6:45 PM in response to bDoubleU

"Sara" is a stem that I created for under dialogue, yes and I've checked to make sure they're assigned properly and they were. I even copied and pasted some sound clips onto another project and made a Master File and it worked. But when I go back to the original project it still does the same thing.

I honestly don't know what's the problem and neither did the FCP X call center, LOL, so I just opted to exporting each track manually, now that's a super pain in the neck. A lot of highlighting, deleting and duplicating projects 😢. But it got the work done.

And in the picutre I didn't highlight the clips, which is why it wasn't yellow. I selected the stem for "Sara" so that's why it was light green.

Thanks for helping!

Apr 2, 2014 7:19 PM in response to Shelise Harlempieny

Hrm, frustrating. I see how the highlighting changes when you select the role.

You say the roles worked when you copied elements into a new project ...? Did you try copying the whole project into a new one?? Re-create all those render files, but so be it. I wonder if that would work. Sometimes projects get corrupted, it seems.

I see how the subroles work now (like Sara), but I don't really understand how it's useful. If you add the subrole to the export list, then those subrole clips appear both in the main role and the subrole. But that wasn't your problem, was it.

Apr 4, 2016 9:42 AM in response to Meg The Dog

May help for short films. Crashed on my feature and very slow feedback from X2Pro. Project cannot move forward, forcing our mixer to standby for nearly a week, and still waiting. Don't want to overreact and rant, but had I known this, FCPX would not be used, and certainly a $150 not spent on X2Pro which clearly has limitations that both Apple and X2Pro should be forward with.

Apr 4, 2016 10:19 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the response Tom. I just want to be able to support my mixer who is at his wit's end with the process, and ultimately cannot move forward with the project until the issue is resolved.

Posting here on the Apple boards, to illustrate this FCPX workflow issue that, looking at the X2Pro boards, suggest that I am not alone in having issues moving projects to a mixer's system.

Appreciate any input.

thanks.

How do you export separate audio tracks for Pro Tools?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.