Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac how do I check how my hard drive space is being used?

I get a message saying my 500GB is full, but I don't know what is taking up all the space. So how do I find out how my internal hard drive is being used?

iMac, how 500GB is being used

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 2:11 PM

HD Space Checkers:

Disk Inventory X (FREE)

WhatSize (SHAREWARE)

OmniDiskSweeper (FREE)

GrandPerspective (FREE - donation)

==================

Mac Performance Guide

Slimming your hard drive

Rule of thumb: You should never let your hard drive get to where you have only 10-15% of space left.

User uploaded file

3 replies

Apr 2, 2014 3:57 PM in response to mml2

You can get a rough idea of how your space is being used in categories.

Goto: Apple logo (top left corner of screen) > About this mac > More options > Storage

This will help, but the main way is to go through all your apps, see which ones you do need and which ones you don't need and completely delete them.

Also one way to save a lot of space is to do two things.

1. Click on your downloads folder in finder (or in safari) and transfer all of the files in that folder to the trash. (Stuff like the .dmg's are a waste of space because you have already installed the program.

2. Securely empty your trash. This will completely erase everything in the trash and make sure no backups of them can be made.

Also, it is a good idea to make sure that your hard drive is healthy. Goto Disk Utility (it is already installed on your mac) and select Macintosh HD. Under one of the tabs choose to check the disk. This will auto check the disk and get rid of any corrupt files and will correct them so your mac runs more smoothly.

Hope this helped.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Apr 3, 2014 12:37 PM in response to mml2

Also (not advertising), I would seriously recommend downloading these apps:

For disk saving space: Disk Diag (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/disk-diag/id672206759?mt=12)

For memory performance boost: Memory Diag (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/memory-diag/id748212890?mt=12)

Both are currently free (but their price will go back up to original) so get them soon if you want to. These will all help.

What is really good about these apps are they both do not damage any of the system files in order to save your HD space!

imac how do I check how my hard drive space is being used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.