Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference in keys for PRAM reset and internet recovery start-up

How do I reset the PRAM?

I have not been able to reset it. My Option-Command-P-R start-up boots me into internet recovery.

Thank you!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 12:09 PM

PRAM is also called NVRAM on newer models. Apple explain it here…

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see the list of startup commands, it should verify what other options you have.

Startup key combinations for Mac - Apple Support

If one startup command fails try using other keys where available e.g. use the left command key if the right one fails.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2017 12:09 PM in response to Susan Swartz1

PRAM is also called NVRAM on newer models. Apple explain it here…

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Also see the list of startup commands, it should verify what other options you have.

Startup key combinations for Mac - Apple Support

If one startup command fails try using other keys where available e.g. use the left command key if the right one fails.

Mar 17, 2017 12:55 PM in response to Annoyed4000

Annoyed4000 wrote:

Ok. So I actually have a different problem. My "p" button doesn't work on my built in keyboard which is why the option-command-p-r combo isn't working for me. This might be the case with the original poster as well as others who are having this type of issue.

Try another keyboard 🙂

Another option is to clear the NVRAM variables from Terminal, which is equivalent …

https://superuser.com/questions/527604/how-to-reset-mac-pram-through-the-command -line-in-lion-mountain-lion

sudo nvram -c

Other startup keys may be settable via Terminal too via 'boot args'…

https://www.cnet.com/news/boot-argument-options-in-os-x/

Apr 2, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Susan Swartz1

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down.

Difference in keys for PRAM reset and internet recovery start-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.