Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! New Seagate 600 SSD- "S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported"

I know this can't be right; I upgraded from a 320GB Seagate Momentus to a 480GB Seagate 600 SSD in my white 13" Macbook early 2009 (Macbook5,2). With previous standard drive, SMART status always read fine. With the SSD, I get "Not Supported" although I know it should support S.M.A.R.T. status readings.

Seagate Support has been appallingly clueless. I have emails from Seagate Support claiming "The SSD drive does not support the SMART status on a MAC...I would recommend disabling the SMART status on the MAC..." and then "We don't have formal training about Mac operating systems..." These people have been selling drives to Mac users for decades.

Their latest message was, "Every recent Seagate hard drive supports S.M.A.R.T. utility. As you know, the hard drive does not come with the utility, it's provided by the computer. If your computer does not support S.M.A.R.T. with the SSD, then you might have to check Terminal Commands to be complying with your SSD. That was why I suggested in the previous email that you should contact Apple."

Does this make any sense to anybody? My previous Seagate® Momentus® 7200.3 supported S.M.A.R.T. reporting just fine out of the box on this MacBook. The new Seagate 600/480 SSD does not, at least in this case. Are there actually Terminal Commands to be issued here to get it working? Or is there a defect in the drive, the MacBook, the installation?? Everything else is working fine, good speed, no issues other than this 'SMART status: not unsupported'...

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), White MacBook Early 2009

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 3:57 PM

1 reply

Help! New Seagate 600 SSD- "S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.