Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a function for SUM(column A IF column B not empty)

Hello esteemed Numbers community.

After searching long and hard for a simple job cost and invoicing system that would fit my needs, I have decided to do it myself in Numbers.

For the most part it is fairly straight forward but I have two questions. THe second one will be in a separate thread so as to keep things organized.

I imagine this first one is a common request. But it is hard to search for because of too many words...

Say I have my invoice amounts in column A. And Column B is Payment received (Y or N). At the bottom of column B, I want to do a total of only the payments received. In other words, something that does Total of all the amounts in column A but only IF column B has a Yes in it.

Thank you very much for any help.

Bo

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 5:40 PM

=SUMIF(B,"Y",A)

or, if you use a checkbox instead of Y/N,

=SUMIF(B,TRUE,A)

9 replies

Apr 2, 2014 6:21 PM in response to Bmachine

A formula cannot reference itself. The reference "N" includes that entire column of cells except for the header(s) and footer(s). Your formula is in one of those cells. You can add a footer row to your table and put the formula in it or you can select the exact ranges you want to use inthe formula, something of the form =SUMIF(N2:N20,"<>",M2:M20)

Is there a function for SUM(column A IF column B not empty)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.