Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Badly boot camped disaster

I have to reset someones iMac but I have been bumping into some problems.

It was badly Boot Camped by a friends son back in 2011.

So badly that he didn't even install the support software.

Running Windows 7 32 Bit Ultimate which is functional but the issue is that the Mac partition has kind of vanished.

Alt at start up brings up EFI, Windows and Recovery options but when I try to use disk utility to try some repairs/wipes the Mac partition is showing but grayed out.

Verify says the partition needs to be repaired but the repair always fails and attempts to erase the HDD fail due to it being unable to unmount the partitions.

Any clue as to why this happened and hopefully a suggestion about how on earth I can fix this mess?

iMac, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 5:09 PM

7 replies

Apr 3, 2014 10:53 AM in response to turbostar

I get three options, EFI, Windows and Recovery.

When I go the recovery route Disk Utility shows the Mac partition but it is greyed out.

Both Verify and Repair fail but when I try to erase the data and go full recovery it says that it cannot unmount the volume.

I suspect that it is the windows partition that is stopping me but since I cannot get into the mac partition I cannot remove Boot Camp I cannot proceed.

Since the windows partition works the hardware must be fine.

Any idea how I can resurrect the mac partition as I'm at a loss here.

Badly boot camped disaster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.