Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it iOS 7.1, my usage, or the battery?

Hello,

As you might know, I use an iPod Touch 5G because I use iOS 7.1. Though it may be a really good update for almost everything, I can't say the same about the battery life performance. Since this update, I sincerely say that it's the first time I had to recharge an iPod Touch 2 times a day! iOS 6.1.3 would give an extraordinary battery life, even at 20%! What about now? I restored the device, reset all the settings, configured as a new iPod, and I never synced back from an old backup! I always use it as a new iPod, don't really care if I lose 3-4 pictures. I don't usually play a lot of games, but even then, I use to get 3 hours of gaming. Now, after just 25-30 minutes of let's say Asphalt 7, I lose 25-30% of battery (assume it's fully chared to 100%). I lose 1 hour of gaming for what? I tried not to use WIFI, or Siri, and desactivate Background App Refresh, try to eliminate the blurrs and the parralax, trying all I can, but I didn't really do a thing. I don't beleive in bad iPods and bad batteries, sure enough, it worked great before, but I beleive in OS bugs, and some omitted battery bugs to fix.
If anyone has an idea to fix this, please tell me.

Thank you.

iOS 7, iPod touch

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 5:14 PM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2014 7:12 PM in response to Lil'fighter

Hey Lil\'fighter, about the only thing you haven't tried is use your iPod until the battery dies, then charge for at least 4 hours. And you're right battery life with iOS 7.1 tanks! I have gone to Apple's suggestions to extend battery life, looks like you have been there too. If you haven't already, checkout C/net more tips there also. I seem to average 36 to 40 hours on standby, 6 to 9 hours if on the net or watching videos. (Depending if using Wi-Fi or videos on the iPod). Gaming kills the battery in 3 to 4 hours. Would be nice if Apple could get some decent battery life back, (probably won't see that until the next model, when every that will be). If your not getting something around the above usage times on a full 4 hour charge, would guess you have a hardware issue and should get iPod evaluated by Apple. As for the % on your iPod don't worry so much about it, the iPod 5 battery meter is nortoriuos for being inaccurate, and it will jump around depending on what your doing. The only % to watch for is the 20% low battery warning. Good luck, Cheers.

Apr 3, 2014 4:39 PM in response to Lil'fighter

Thank you everybody for your help. I have tried the las test: I recharged my iPod this morning fr 4 hours after being at only 10-15%. After that, I checked some music in the iTunes Store, updated 2 apps in a few minutes and listen to music in the music app. It's 7:30PM now, the battery is at 20%. I used it for 8 hours in total, and this is just basic things like music! And the screen's brightness is at less than 20%.

I bought it last year, in April. How can the battery die so fast?

Is it iOS 7.1, my usage, or the battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.