Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 4s turned off properly but when I went to put it back the apple icon came on and then an image I have never seen before of a ubs pointiing towards the word itunes in a circle. And the phone no longer goes beyond this message. meltdown?

My phone started acting up and I noticed my text messages were not being sent. So I turned my iphone off. My iphone 4s turned off properly but when I went to put it back the apple icon came on and then an image I have never seen before of a UBS pointiing towards the word itunes in a circle. And the phone no longer goes beyond this message. I try to turn it off and on again and same message over and over. If I hit the any button on the phone nothing happens. Does anyone know what this means or seen this itunes messaging ? meltdown? Please help.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 8:20 PM

The iPhone is telling you to Restore it with iTunes on computer.

5 replies

Apr 4, 2014 8:50 AM in response to brad805

Hey Brad, thank you for your response. I tried that but when I connected the phone to my computer the computer stated that the driver for the device is not found. Do you know what that means? So I could not proceed past that stage. IS DRIVER NOT FOUND AN ISSUE? Im concerned about retrieving some precious photos.

Apr 4, 2014 10:36 AM in response to e71

Have you saved backup in iTunes of these precious photographs ?

If no, then Restoring in iTunes will result of permanent loss of those. You may have to use a third party software to retrieve these. Google 'How to retrieve photographs from a iPhone in Recovery mode'

Windows machine sometimes helps in retrieving photographs from such iPhones.

Apr 5, 2014 6:05 PM in response to RajaRani

Hello Raja,

Thank you so much for your response. I had these photos backed up on iCloud but, had I not, its good to have an alternate solution as the one you suggested. Actually, I went to the Apple store today and yes, you are absolutely correct Restoring in iTunes will result in permanent loss of photos unless backed up somewhere such as iCloud or other solution. Well, what they did was restore the phone in itunes ( I did not have iTunes downloaded to my computer which is why it did not work when I went to do it myself, I needed to go to the iTunes site and go to the download iTunes button because my windows based HP laptop does not come with itunes already downloaded). This retoration process took a while and I was forced to upgrade to the latest 7.1 iOS software which I was not too happy about -sometimes you like the way things work now :-) Anyhow, they said this restoration request happens as a result of a software update (which I was NOT in progress of an update or doing an update) or sometimes when you remove the power cable too quickly from the iphone (which I do not recall doing this either but...). Since I had backed up on iCloud all of the photos were downloaded back on my iphone 4s. Best of all was that my phone was back up and runnning and there was NO CHARGE at the apple store for this service of restoring my phone. Well, I just wanted to share the results and I appreciate all the responses and support I received. Thank you kindly.

Apr 5, 2014 7:03 PM in response to e71

e71 wrote:

Hello Raja,

1. iTunes button because my windows based HP laptop does not come with itunes already downloaded).

2. I was forced to upgrade to the latest 7.1 iOS software

3 .Since I had backed up on iCloud all of the photos were downloaded back on my iphone 4s.

1. iTunes does not come pre loaded in any Windows machine. It needs to be installed.

2. Apple never forces you to Upgrade iOS. You need to agree to do so. Of course, you are forced to ... in some cases as of yours. As you already know iPhone works at lower iOS as well. Only drawback is that the user is deprived of new features of newer iOSs and also newer/improved Apps.

3. The camera is designed like any other camera where you shoot and download to a safer location. iTunes/iCloud/your Hard disk are some. Many people prefer terra firma to iCloud.

Nice to know that it worked out well for you.

Best.

My iphone 4s turned off properly but when I went to put it back the apple icon came on and then an image I have never seen before of a ubs pointiing towards the word itunes in a circle. And the phone no longer goes beyond this message. meltdown?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.