Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked out of Apple ID AND lost Recovery Key for two-step verification

Hey guys,

Firstly, as the title implies, this is a double-whammy of a problem, and obviously, it is very much my fault. The reason I'm bothering to post this, however, is to find out if anyone else has had this issue and where they are at with it.

The story:

I set up two-step verification on my Apple ID about a year ago as I thought it was a good idea. I wrote the Recovery Key down as it told you to, and put it in a folder full of other important documents. In a epic mental lapse, however, I now remember later throwing out that folder, forgetting about my Recovery Key. Ya, that is my fault, I'm and idiot. Anyways...

Fast forward to a few days ago, and I all of a sudden received messages on all my devices saying that my Apple ID had been disabled for security reasons, and that I had to reset the account in order to regain access to it. Scary, but no problem, right? Well, after entering my Apple ID into iForgot.com, the first thing it asked me for was my Recovery Key. This is around the time I was banging my head against the wall in realization that I had thrown it away, but I was relieved to see the "Lost your Recovery Key?" option at the bottom of the screen. I was even more relieved to discover that I had what I needed to reset it: my current password and a trusted Apple device. The catch was that to reset it, I needed to log into my Apple ID to initiate it, which of course I couldn't do because it had been disabled, and the only way for me to disable it is, again, to enter in my Recovery Key. This effectively put me in and endless loop, without any apparent way of gaining accesses to my account. I did contact Apple about it, and I was ultimately told that the lock on my account was so tight, that not even Apple could gain access to it.

I understand that this level of security is probably the whole reason for the two-step verification in the first place, and I again concede that it was extremely foolish of me for forgetting about and discarding my Recovery Key, but a few things still don't make sense...

1. Why would they put a "Lost your Recovery Key?" link on the password recovery page when a password is needed to reset the Recovery Key itself?

2. As far as I can remember, Apple, in their briefing of how two-step verification works, did not bring up this scenario, which is probably relatively common. They DO mention that they can't help when you don't have access to two of the three necessary things for recovery, but they never brought up the apparent exception of if the account is disabled, in which case having two of the three things needed is not enough. I don't understand how they couldn't have mentioned this scenario.

3. Given the above thought, how could Apple not have some sort of special contingency for this type of situation? I profess my ignorance of how these types of systems are set up, but I would feel that there should be a special method for recovery in place if the account has been locked, and the owner is able to verify that they have the password and trusted devices.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a rant. I ADORE Apple, but this system seems like it's less than perfect.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so, is your situation similar to mine?

Thanks for any response!

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 7:04 PM

I FOUND THE FIX I AM YOUR SAVIOR ALL HAIL KING ISAIAH SAVIOR OF OUR ICLOUD PICS

1. Visit http://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. Go to "Password and Security"

3. Click "Replace Lost Key"

4. Print out your new key.

5. Use the new key to reset your iCloud password.

6. Tell me about how I saved your life.

28 replies

May 29, 2014 7:41 PM in response to Apple Warrior 231

Hey everyone.

It's been awhile, but I wanted to share with anyone who is interested some general knowledge about this issue that I have learned while communicating with Apple support. Unsurprisingly, the issue is still unresolved, and I am under the impression that it will remain that way, but I'm still trying to get in touch with one of the senior representatives I spoke with a while ago who seemed to think that there might be a solution, so I suppose there is still a chance that things could turn out for the better.

Here's the rundown:

Anytime you are unable to sign in to or access your account because of "security reasons", your account is under what is called a "DS Lockout".

A DS Lockout on an Apple ID can be triggered for a few reasons, such as when too many failed logins to the Apple ID (using an incorrect password) are attempted, or when a purchase is made that Apple believes to be fraudulent.

Under normal circumstances, a DS Lockout only lasts for 8 hours, after which the lock is lifted and access to the account by inputting the correct password is re-enabled.

This is where the catch for anybody who set up two-step verification is.

According to one of Apple's security representatives, IF you have two-step verification enabled upon being inflicted with a DS Lockout, the 8-hour lockout period is extended indefinitely as an additional security measure (a feature, I suppose). Therefore, the only way to regain access to the account is by resetting the password, as waiting for the lockout to expire is no longer an option. And of course, resetting your password, as stated by Apple, is one of the situations in which you need your Recovery Key. EVEN IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE ACCOUNT'S CURRENT PASSWORD IS, the lockout prevents you from being able to input it as a means of authentication. You MUST reset your password in order to regain access, and you MUST input your recovery key in order to reset your password.

So, that seems to be the gist of it. It does make sense, but here's my problem:

Upon setting up two-step verification, Apple does warn you of many things, but they do not make any mention of this specific scenario. Indeed, it is very much my fault for loosing my verification key, but the thing is, I’m human, I make mistakes, and I know that I will continue to do so. One of the reasons I chose to take the risk of setting up two-step verification is because Apple explicitly stated that as long as I had access to two of the three required "keys" -- my Recovery Key, my password, and at least one of my trusted Apple devices -- I would always be able to gain access to my account. In other words, as long as I didn’t screw up so bad as to loose access to two of my keys, I’d be okay. Obviously, there is a huge exception to this case that, again, is not mentioned anywhere, hence all the confusion. Had I know that it was possible that it could come down to me needing a single, specific key to regain access to my account, I probably would have opted out of two-step verification, recognizing that as a busy college student who's constantly reorganizing and dealing with tons of forms, worksheets, and other various documents, it's not as easy to hold on to a slip of paper as it might be for others. I'm hoping that at some point, Apple adds a big, red warning to the setup process which reads something like:

"In the event that your Apple ID is locked due to a detected security risk, your Recovery key will be necessary to regaining access to your account; knowing your password and/or having access to any of your trusted devices will no longer be enough."

I really do appreciate how seriously Apple takes its security, but I think that there is still room for improvement. This should start with more clearly and fully stating the conditions of its security measures, as well as having its customer support be more educated on these conditions (they themselves stated that they had never been trained on issues revolving around two-step verification). Protecting someone's private information is important, but so too is making every possible effort to ensure that customers can't easily loose access to all the content and services that they have spent much time and money building up and using.

As stated above, I'm still trying to get a hold of the Apple representative who initially assisted me, so if I have any additional updates, I'll be sure to reply to this thread. I hope that anyone who is going through the same issue, or is simply curious, finds this information to be useful.

Jul 2, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Apple Warrior 231

Well..... Over a year later, and this is still an issue. My problem is exactly the same as the OP. I did speak to an Apple rep this morning, and it was still "We can't do anything for you on our end."

I had just gotten my head around that I would simply have to create a new AppleID, and lose 8 years of purchased movies, songs, books and apps. Created my new ID, went to reset my phone to use the new ID and ran smack into the reality that I couldn't sign out of iCloud and thus couldn't reset my phone. My phone still works as a phone, but is effectively excluded from any app updates or new purchases.

The Apple Two Factor Authentication is truly a disaster. Oh sure I should blame myself for losing my recovery key, but I prefer to blame Jennifer Lawrence for snapping nudies of herself.

Since 1) I've lost all of my purchased content, and 2) I would need to buy a new iPhone to be able to use my new AppleID, seems like a good time to leave Apple all together. What a Charlie Foxtrot!

Dec 9, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Apple Warrior 231

What I don't understand is WHY can't Apple fix this?

It's THEIR servers, THEIR systems; they should be able to do an override once they prove that you are, in fact, you, maybe even in person at the Apple Store with an upper level company security representative on the phone.

It's absurd that the company can't re-enable access for one of its own customers. If I, as a sysadmin, set up a system for my employer where I can't re-enable someoene's account access, I'd likely be fired!

Something is really iffy here. Apple NEEDS to implement a process for resolving this situation as it results in the customer being denied access to products they purchased!

Aug 14, 2017 1:04 PM in response to FA314

Hi,

I am thinking the same thing i have 2 iPhones 1 MacBook pro , 1 IMAC, and 1 iPad pro that I can no longer use w ID because of this stupid system Apple have in place. I am self employed and one of my businesses is waterproofing iPod shuffles and paring with my SwimMan headset you can swim with music . Being self employed and having a few people working is why so many devices. Apple announced 2 weeks ago they will no longer be making iPods so there goes 1 business also Apple knew about this business but have supplied me with a grand total of 20 ipod shuffles! They had told me previously that I was the biggest ipod shuffle buyer in Australia but didn't help me in any way on either the Apple Id or the business or devices. So I think it is time to disassociate myself with Apple in every way. I have never been so fobbed off as I have been by the Apple support staff. I told them about Warriors old password scenario and the basically called me a liar!!! . Apple service has deteriorated a **** of a lot since the sad ;passing of Steve Jobs no doubt about it. Goodbye Apple

Jul 31, 2014 12:28 AM in response to jaci25

Hey jaci25,

Sorry about not responding sooner. I'm still getting used to this new Apple ID!

I'm sure that you've heard back from Apple by now, and if things went as "well" for you as they did for me, it would seem like we are both locked out of our accounts permanently.

I'm actually finally closing the book on this case, as I just heard back from the customer relations representative who I contacted in one final effort to see if there was any work-around that could be leveraged from Apple's lack of clarity in detailing this scenario. Unfortunately, despite her effort, she was unable to to find a solution (as expected). So, it would seem like I've exhausted the last possible venue for support from Apple. Incase anyone is wondering how far exactly my case was escalated, after contacting Apple Care multiple times, an "On Site Engineer" was eventually asked the question of whether or not it is possible to lift the DS Lockout, to which he replied "No".

An extremely disappointing end to a very frustrating and saddening case. Literally hundreds of dollars worth of content, files, and my primary email address, simply inaccessible. Thankfully, I had most of the content stored locally on my computers, but besides my music, none of my other content can be transferred or redeemed.

However, there was a bit of good news, which I'd like to share with you and anybody else who might stumble across this issue:

*** (IF YOUR IOS DEVICE IS BRICKED DUE TO A FORCED (DFU MODE) RESET WHILE FIND MY IPHONE WAS ACTIVE, READ THIS) ***

If you have an iOS (7) device associated with your locked Apple ID, and have Find My iPhone active on it, you will find that you are unable to log out of iCloud to set up a new account, or more drastically, are unable to reset the device. If you force a reset through DFU mode, you will then find that your device is essentially bricked, as it asks for your defunct iCloud password to verify the device before setup can be completed. When I took it into the Apple Store for the first time, I was told that there was nothing that could be done -- they have a standing policy that prevents iOS devices (even under warranty) from being swapped out if not cleared of their verification. This is not true. Ask to speak to a manager and explain the issue. Though Apple does not like to do it, they DO have the ability to remove the verification prompt PROVIDED you have a proof of purchase as well and as long as the device wasn't placed in Lost Mode (which it won't be unless you did it for some reason prior to getting locked out of your account). When I thought I was about to lose an additional $300 dollars as well as my primary phone, I was slight shy of irate, but thankfully, this much seems to be solvable.

I'm extremely sorry for your loss, as I can completely relate. My hope is that as this issue continues to pop up for other users, as it undoubtably will, Apple will recognize, at the very least, that their lack of clarity regarding DS Lockouts and Apple ID's is costing customers greatly, and possibly offer up a solution. Despite being seemingly impossible to fix now, the only way to make this issue known is for others with it to contact Apple and tell them. So, if you've been afflicted with the same thing, I urge you to contact Apple and make it known, as EVERY SINGLE representative I spoke to along the way told me they "never heard of this situation before."

I may respond to the customer relations representative I've been working with one more time, but as of now, it does seem impossible for Apple to solve this issue. If anything changes, I will be sure to post another comment.

Sep 11, 2017 11:40 PM in response to Apple Warrior 231

By reading your post has given me hope that one day I may too recover my Apple ID.

It's been a week since I've been locked out. And a year since I first signed up for two-step verification.

What happened to me was once I finally realized what had happened, I had logged out of my only logged in device before reading that wasn't a good idea. My problem was when I signed in I didn't have access to any trusted device and couldn't locate my recovery key. And the get a new recovery key wouldn't work. Neither would the lost your recovery key. I may have those confused, but I think you know where I'm going with this. Not having the iPhone, or device, or the phone number really messed me up. I hope that one day I am Apple to recover my account like you did somehow.

Oct 3, 2017 4:21 PM in response to Apple Warrior 231

So I’m in this mess too here is my story..

Back on Valentine’s Day my husband surprised me with an iPhone 7plus rose gold 32gb.. I was well chuffed but also quite annoyed that it wasn’t bought outright but he had got in on a contract which he payed for monthly.. on top of that it was locked to EE and I was on another network and I had to wait 6 months before I could put my own sim in.. so I let him enjoy it for a while. However 6 months later I call up EE and get the phone unlocked at an additional but cheaper cost and insert my sim card jn(giffgaff) now I come up with the screen enter your password for my Apple ID (iqra_shaheen@me.com) now I didn’t remeber the password which resulted me to haveijg the account locked.. so I called up Apple and out my account into recovery mode.. so I waited from 14-days to one months and now 3 months however I’ve contacted them numerous times and they all have said the same thing and Ive been going round and round in circles , some have cancelled verification. Some have said they will deal with personally by sending jn detention number information (but never answers) and some have told me a pack of lies, however I spoke to one man who said if I sent in proof of purchase I could possibly make things faster having my husbands name didn’t matter asking as it could be proved where it was purchased from , however when I called up Ee and got the information they held of the contract that was in my husbands name with the imei number and forwarded it to the persona that was dealing with my issue he then forwarded it on to the team that can unlock the account ( aaparantly they have no contact number and can only be contacted via email ) he said they would email with response which they did but rejected the proof of purchase because it hadn’t got a price on it and not an addres of where it was purchased from, now what I don’t understand is if something is purchased online how am I supposed to provide this information address wise and also get an price of an item that I’m paying monthly for ( the invoice never had a purchase price on it it only stated no upfront payment was required).. so they can’t hekp me resolve this matter and I won’t be able to use the phone.. I’ve had this phone 7 months and haven’t used it once!! The iPhone 8 is out how embarrassing and I can’t even use a phone that I have full ownership of.. to top it all off I haven’t made one single call off the phone and can’t even use it without all that information when I’ve send them all the information Ee hold

After receiving their email it angered me and this was my response.. I do want to take things further PLEASE HELP!!

What I don’t understand is I clearly stated that this handset is currently on contract in my husbands name and after speaking to your agents numerous times they reassured me the name on the account wouldn’t be a problem and now your telling me to contact the re seller when the handset is originally purchased online via the Ee website by my husband and we have also forwarded the contract information that we had provided I don’t know what more I can provide you with.. Ive also got the packaging and the delivery receipt to what more can I send to prove that I this is our handset to get to use the handset.. I have had this handset gifted to me by my husband on Valentine’s Day and haven’t been able to use it due to it being locked to Ee.. when I’ve waited 6 months to use due to it being unlocked your now telling me that I won’t be able to actually use the handset with the proof of purchase.. it’s embarrasing that the iPhone 8 has come out and I haven’t yet used my iPhone 7 Plus this is ridiculous

Nov 6, 2014 7:24 PM in response to IsaiahTurner

Yes, repeatedly for over 24 hours and each time returned with a message that says your account has been disabled for security purposes, go to iForgot.apple.com to reset your password. Go to iForgot and it asks for key. Lost your key? Go to this link (your steps provided above). Go to Manage Apple ID > Account is disabled. Loop loop loop. Talked to Apple support for over 4 hours, nothing they can go with 2FA enabled. So don't lose your key because if someone tries to guess your password or make a purchase on your account too many times and your account gets locked, then you will lose access to your account permanently if you don't have your recovery key. Does not matter if you know your password and you have a trusted device.

Jun 22, 2017 4:03 PM in response to Apple Warrior 231

I have a similar problem but maybe worst. I initially forgot my Apple ID password which then locked me out for "security reasons" . So I tried to reset the password . The link was sent to my phone and email which I clicked on the link to start the process (I believe I have the two step verification system ). The process went on fine by asking me the phone number to send the verification to. I put in my number which I know is the only number linked to my Id as it's the only number I've ever had . It was correct because apple did send me the verification code which I put in and then it prompted me to put in New password and confirm new password . And bam when I clicked next I get "invalid phone number". I've tried this sooooo many times and have been locked out ever since . I don't know what else to do as I know it's the right number since I'm getting the texts with the verification codes .. please help

Aug 14, 2017 12:41 PM in response to Apple Warrior 231

G'day AW,

I am an Aussie that has had the exact same issue. Problem is when i told Appler support of how you regained access by using an old password they intimated that was not true! I know my old password and have my trusted i had exact same issue as you did. But Apple told me last night unless I fd the recovery key I will NEVER AGAIN have access to all my treasured photos and music anode course apps. What a joke two-step verification is never again will i use it and the way I feel at the moment I really do not want much to do with Apple either. I have wasted untold hours on the phone and gone through the same process as the last time BEFORE on so many occasions I have lost count even though the "support " tech has said he has read the notes on the case! Why get me to do the same thing again then and waste more of my time ? Any help from ANYBODY would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 8, 2014 12:40 PM in response to jaci25

Thanks for your note. I gave up. There is no problem on my MacBook Pro. The keychain can be accessed, no error messages and the same password that I used on the imac works. I'm just not going to use it. I turn down requests to save login info And keep a log myself. I'm terrified to switch to mavericks. I have an old version of iPhoto and will probably lose all the photos. i give up. Good luck! Please keep us posted m

Nov 5, 2014 2:27 PM in response to Apple Warrior 231

Thanks for documenting this. I'm in the same hellish loop and it looks like I am also out of luck. Can't reset my password because I lost my recovery key and to get a new key I have to login to my apple ID, which I can't because it's disabled and can't be enabled without changing the password. Wish I had never turned on 2FA, what a disaster. I've lost hundreds of songs and apps and dozens of movies. The Apple support I have worked with says they are able to change the Apple ID my devices are associated with so that they won't be bricks, but I have yet to start that process of having the apple ID switched. Very frustrating to know that even with two pieces of ID I still can't get into my account because of this specific scenario.

Nov 6, 2014 7:19 PM in response to IsaiahTurner

The part you are missing is that the account is disabled and you cannot login to your apple ID. When you have 2-step verification enabled, once the account gets disabled, the only way to re-enable it is to change your password. If you don't have your key you can't change your password. There is no 8 hour (or one rep even told me 24 hour - nope) lock-out until you can login again. You are effectively screwed. Lose your key and your account gets disabled from too many password attempts and you are SOL.

Locked out of Apple ID AND lost Recovery Key for two-step verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.