Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcuts for Macbook pro and wireless keyboards.

I´ve searched for an answer to this issue because it seems so obvious, but I can´t seem to find anything useful. Perhaps I´m just terrible at searching relevant posts here. I apologize if this has been addressed before.

I´m taking some tutorials (from Lynda.com and Ripple training, to name a few) and in all of them, even those about very recent software, they keep aluding to ye olde long keyboards of yesteryear, when you had tildes and the plus and minus signs were on it's own keys. But most modern mac keyboards, on laptops such as macbook pro's, as well as desktop computers now, use the short keyboard. So, for example, if in the tutorial they explain how to reduce the size of a brush with a shortcut pressing command and the plus sign, that shortcut can't be used in a macbook pro, because to get the plus sign you also need a modifier, which completely alters the function of the sortcut.

Now, I guess one could simply edit every command individually, but it seems to me there's gotta be a simpler, easier way to fix this, since old long keyboards have been almost fazed out. It amazes me why don't the programs such as Final Cut, to name an Apple proprietary, just come with a preset for long and short keyboards at this point. But they still don't.

I hope someone can assist me with this issue, and I´m sorry about the syntax and grammar, english is not my native language.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 12:18 AM

11 replies

Apr 3, 2014 6:45 PM in response to Melophage

Unfortunately, that is not the case, since most of the shortcuts are mapped using modifier keys. So if instead of having the + (plus sign) on one key, you have to press option and another key to get the + (plus sign), that options key is most of the times used to access another command. So, the software (final cut pro, photoshop, etc.) normally doesn´t recognize this combination of keys.

It really is something that should be addressed right out of the box. As in the computer, you go to system preferences and you can change the configuration of your keyboard, this should be an option also on most software, but it is not and is driving me nuts.

Apr 3, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Psychodoodle

Psychodoodle,

I agree that it would be difficult if a shortcut required a character that could only be generated using an Option key on a given keyboard layout. In the case of a US English keyboard, which has all of the ASCII characters available either unmodified or by using a Shift key, this problem is typically not encountered. For example, browsers often use ⌘+ as a shortcut to zoom in; on a US English keyboard, ⌘⇧= works perfectly well for ⌘+, since the plus sign on a US English keyboard is generated using Shift =. If there were a shortcut in e.g. a popular British software package that required, say, ⌘£ to activate, then it would be an issue that US software companies might appreciate more, since a US English keyboard requires an Option key to generate the pound sign. May I ask which keyboard layout your MacBook Pro is equipped with?

Apr 4, 2014 1:22 AM in response to Melophage

To both Tom and Melophage, I am using a Macbook pro bought in Mexico so it's a latin (?) keyboard, or a spanish one, since it has the letter Ñ. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll attach a photo of my keyboard.

Most image or video editing software employ complex shortucts (three or more keys) due to the abundance of commands and tools they require to operate. Several commands are mapped with two or more modifiers. So even if my keyboard was a US keyboard, pressing command and shiftplus the equal key to get the plus sign to substitute for a simpler command plus, wouldn't achieve the function desired, since shift is also one of the modifiers commonly mapped for other commands. In my specific case, the plus sign is to the left of the return (or enter) key, along with a bracket and the asterisk. To get the plus sign, I need to press the function key and that multipurpose key, the bracket is achieved by pressing the option key, and that multipurpose key. Unfortnunately, the function, as well as the option keys, are mapped with all sorts of other combinations, so it just doesn't work, and as you can imagine, mapping every command and tool on a program like final cut pro or photoshop would be a humongous and rather tedious task.

User uploaded file

Apr 4, 2014 5:56 AM in response to Psychodoodle

Psychodoodle wrote:

even if my keyboard was a US keyboard, pressing command and shiftplus the equal key to get the plus sign to substitute for a simpler command plus, wouldn't achieve the function desired

So you are saying that, even for US users running everything in English, keyboard shortcuts for Final Cut Pro only work properly on a long keyboard? I can't myself test whether this is true or not. Have you asked about it on the forum devoted to this app, like

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/final_cut_pro_ x

Apr 4, 2014 6:37 AM in response to Psychodoodle

Psychodoodle wrote:

In my specific case, the plus sign is to the left of the return (or enter) key, along with a bracket and the asterisk. To get the plus sign, I need to press the function key and that multipurpose key

That does not make sense. On your keyboard, if you have Spanish ISO chosen as the keyboard layout in system preferences, that key should normally type +. When shifted it should type *, with Option it should type ], with option and shift it should type ±. You should never have to use the function key to type a character. Something is broken if you do.

Apr 4, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Psychodoodle

Psychodoodle,

if you open the Keyboard pane of System Preferences and select its Input Sources tab, which input source are you currently using? As Tom Gewecke pointed out, given your Spanish keyboard layout, you should use the “Spanish – ISO” input source rather than the “Spanish” input source to have your input source match your keyboard layout.

Apr 4, 2014 3:19 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom,

No I have not asked on a dedicated forum since this is an issue I've had with several programs (I should start to refer to them as apps), however, it's not a bad idea and I'll skim those forums to see if this issue has been addressed. Also, indeed you are right and I made a mistake in my previous post, the + sign comes up by just pressing that multipurpose key, with shift it will produce the asterisk and with option it will produce the bracket. I got carried away with Melophage's first post where the plus sign is used as an example. I apologize to both for my mistake, and I'll try to be more specific and careful in the future.

Tom and Melophage,

My keyboard does have the Spanish-ISO mode of input by default, and I've added the US input also, although I hardly ever use it. And indeed, being able to do something simple like zooming on a document or a web page with command and the plus sign is something I can easily manage. However, the things I usually have a problem with are, for example (and I'll be more specific this time), in photoshop cs6 to reduce or increase the size of a brush, you have to press either the left or right bracket. For me to get the left bracket, I have to press option and a multipurpose key that contains these three signs: ` ^ [. Now, in photoshop, as soon as you press the option key, the brush, or whatever tool you have selected, turns into the eyedropper tool, so pressing option and multipurpose key doesn´t get you a bracket, gets you the eyedropper and ignores any other key you press.

In final cut there is a similar problem with the bracket to make L cuts with a shortcut that uses the bracket, and both programs also make use of the tilde key, which I don't even have in my keyboard.

You both made me realize, of course, that the problem lies in my regional configuration of the keyboard, and that software makers probably just avoid the hassle of having to come up with multiple different sets of keyboard shortcuts due to those different layouts. I still think this is something that should be addressed right from the box, but now I realize it might not be such a prevalent issue, specially with people who have the US keyboard layout.

Apr 4, 2014 4:28 PM in response to Psychodoodle

Psychodoodle,

I’d used the plus sign as an example in my first reply because you’d used the plus sign as an example in your initial post.

Your initial point was correct — the problem is that the (mainly US) software makers are presuming that all of the characters in their programs’ shortcuts are available either unmodified or using only a Shift key, as I’d mentioned in my second reply, and for some characters, this isn’t the case in most input sources. Unless the software makers provide a facility in their programs’ Preferences to change their shortcuts if needed, your possible courses of action are either:

• to avoid using shortcuts such as ⌘[ when the necessary characters are unavailable in your preferred input source without using an Option key;
  • to use a US English input source when running these programs, and remembering which Spanish keycaps correspond to the US English input source character locations;
  • to install an app like KeyRemap4MacBook, so that keys can be remapped in the “Spanish – ISO” input source when running programs like Final Cut Pro or Photoshop.

Apr 4, 2014 4:44 PM in response to Melophage

Yes, you are right about the + sign, it was my mistake and I apologize.

Indeed in almost all the software I've addressed and I'm trying to learn (creative suite by adobe, final cut and motion by apple, etc.) there is a way to remap the shortcuts to your liking, but as you can imagine, it is a very cumbersome procedure due to the fact that there are a lot of commands and tools, and sometimes the interface is not so amicable. In final cut, for example, this is not so much a problem since the interface to remap shortcuts is very well done, reproducing a colored keyboard and having modifiers as toggles separately. But in adobe's software the interface is a nightmare and the procedure is extremely tedious. I figured some app or plug in should have addressed this by now, but i wasn't able to find it, so the app you provided is a big big help to solve this issue I'm having. I appreciate all the help and patience both to you and Tom, and I'll be sure to check this app and see how it works.

Keyboard shortcuts for Macbook pro and wireless keyboards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.