Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will reinstalling snow leopard overwrite applications?

Yesterday my Mac Pro refused to start up.

On the grey screen a "question mark folder" flashed up for less than a second, then the apple logo and then it went to a blue screen and stayed there with the spinning circle going round and round...

I booted from the Snow Leopard install disk (I was on 10.6.8) and ran disk utility. Verified and repaired the disk and permissions. When I tried to reboot from the startup disk the same blue screen issue happened.

Have also booted in single user mode and done fsck, have reset the pram and smc but nothing seems to work.

I feel like the only option is to reinstall snow leopard from the disk but I have a lot of applications on my Mac and I am wondering if these will be wiped when I reinstall or will they be left untouched? I'd just rather not have the hassle of dealing with deauthorizing software licences etc...

Also - any ideas of what has happened?

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks,

David

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), connected to video SAN via fibre

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 7:41 AM

Your files are perfectly safe. See this guide from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/ca/question/answers/product/MC573Z/A/before-i-install-my- snow-leopard-upgrade-what-will-happen-to-all-my-software-documents-photos-and-ot her-files/QDP799CK7TYTCHXUU

All that being said, one should never do this type of thing without a full back up. Trust you have one.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2014 7:41 AM in response to davidcampbellsl

Your files are perfectly safe. See this guide from Apple.

http://store.apple.com/ca/question/answers/product/MC573Z/A/before-i-install-my- snow-leopard-upgrade-what-will-happen-to-all-my-software-documents-photos-and-ot her-files/QDP799CK7TYTCHXUU

All that being said, one should never do this type of thing without a full back up. Trust you have one.

Will reinstalling snow leopard overwrite applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.