Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have I wasted my money? Apple TV set up nightmare

I'm hoping that I've just been on the wrong track and someone can steer me the right direction!

I bought aTV a few months ago specifically for use in my classroom to mirror my ipad. Got home from store, opened box, no HDMI cable, cannot use without HDMI cable, back to store.

Go to school. No HDMI input into screen. Buy converter (HDMI to VGA) cord. Wait for it to arrive. Wont work, I think it needs a power source.

Buy a converter box, with extra associated cords. Wrong one. Buy another box, YAY, its the right one months later.

Connect up apple tv to board. Cannot set up due to proxy settings. Take it home again, set it up through home wifi on tv - works fine.

Back to school, wont work because it needs a user profile. Back home again.

Research how to configure profiles. User profile needs configurator. Configurator needs OS X upgrade. Slow net means there's a good 6 hours for that. Upgrade installed ... finally.

A few days later configurator downloaded. Plug atv in to imac at home via micro USB cable (yes its plugged in) to set up user profile according to these instructions http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5437?viewlocale=en_US

Apple TV not recognised by configurator or itunes - probably due to not being connected to wifi.

imac with configurator is in one room, TV and wifi in another. My latest frustrating block in the road is - How do I connect to the wifi with the atv, wont it need to be plugged into the TV via HDMI? I need it to be able to have it plugged into the imac in the next room to configure it. The wifi will cut out if unplugged. The imac has no HDMI input socket.

Do I really need to pull my office apart and drag my imac out to the living room so it can remain plugged in to power after connecting to wifi???? Please tell me I have something upside down and back-to-front!!!

Has anyone else had a nightmare similar to this one? I've always been a big apple supporter ... BUT ...

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 5:42 AM

6 replies

Apr 3, 2014 8:36 AM in response to MedicineWoman

as soon as you say hdmi to vga your ship has pretty much sailed

vga does not support the DRM encryption called HDCP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

apple also hate complex network setups like corperate encryption and login by browser and likely proxy too

sounds like you're a teather trying to use the appletv in your class something it was not really meant for they are cheap likely apple don't make money selling them but make up for it by selling media on them which is a possible reason why they don't get out of their way making sure they work on the average college campus network where fear of Torrent result in port80 being the only open port

Apr 3, 2014 5:09 PM in response to MedicineWoman

Wrong track? Your not even at the train station....

I thought only guys didn't read directions.

And Apple TV came with simple ones.

Apple TV works ONLY with HDTVs with HDMI cable, not included.

You must connect to the internet with Ethernet cable or wifi.

You must have wifi to stream content from an Apple device to Apple TV. This means your Apple TV has to connect with a wifi service at school to stream.

Apr 3, 2014 11:01 PM in response to MedicineWoman

A little more information:

"Apple TV works ONLY with HDTVs with HDMI cable, not included." Thanks for the info - I have it working with the smart board via a convertor box (HDMI to VGA), so please dont be condescending by telling me thats where I'm going wrong.

The problem is I can only get it working if I have both the ipad and the ATV connected to my iphone hotspot. I do not want this to be a permanent method of connection.

"I thought only guys didn't read directions. And Apple TV came with simple ones." Yes I do realise that it should be a basic set up process in a normal household situation. I am looking for help with a different set up process. Thanks for the 'helpful' comment though.

"There is no requirement to load a profile on the ATV." - If I want to configure it to connect through the department proxy server there apparently is, so the question is how? To find troubleshooting help on the net for that process is near impossible.

And as for plugging it straight into the ethernet - that wont help because the ipad will be connected via wifi and they are different networks so that wont work. The only way is for the apple to connect via wifi through proxy OR for me to buy another routing device such as airport. This would just be another added inconvenience though, especially when I'm changing classrooms every lesson.

Apr 4, 2014 3:43 AM in response to MedicineWoman

MedicineWoman wrote:

And as for plugging it straight into the ethernet - that wont help because the ipad will be connected via wifi and they are different networks so that wont work. The only way is for the apple to connect via wifi through proxy OR for me to buy another routing device such as airport. This would just be another added inconvenience though, especially when I'm changing classrooms every lesson.

Here's where the Apple sheeple go wrong. There is no requirement to buy Apple products.

If you do not need Internet access, but instead need a simply Wi-Fi network to connect the devices and allow for AirPlay, an inexpensive Wi-Fi router that runs about $20-30 will be sufficient. It is likely to be a lot easier to deal with than installing the configuration profile and testing until it simply works.

Have I wasted my money? Apple TV set up nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.