Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Table of Contents won't include any heading above it

Hello everyone, I have just stumbled across another issue.

In my pages document I have 3 sections (cover, abstract - has a heading 1 and acknowledgements - has a heading 1). After these three section is the page that has my table of contents. Below the contents page follow plenty other pages with headings 1 - 3. And for some reason the table of contencts only lists the headings from the sections below it.

Is there any way to include the headings above the TOC as well?

Thank you in advance for your replies,

James.

Pages 09

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 6:10 AM

8 replies

May 21, 2015 5:13 AM in response to fruhulda

Hello,

Sorry to take you back one year, but I'm facing the same problem now with pages 5.5.1, and I can't understand how to do it from your explanation.

It's amazing, I only want the TOC to start after the normal heading I already wrote for the Table of Contents, but it won't let me, it just adds the TOC in the page after, not allowing me to write anything above. So I get a page with just the title of the TOC and only in the page after the TOC itself.

I fear that my solution is going to be an absurd one:

Adding a a random header in the middle of the cover page of my thesis, and then coloring it white - this way it will be the first row in the TOC and I'll design it to look like a header.

I had many other design problems using pages (which in Word would have not been a problem from the first place), but I'll write about that on Apple support page when I'm done with my thesis (spoiler alert: I'm never using pages again after this awful experience).

Thanks 🙂

May 21, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Pazzy-el

Unfortunately even my absurd solution didn't work, again for no good reason - I did the thing with coloring the fake heading white and adding it to the TOC, but for some reason it insists on keeping the page number for the fake heading even though I unmarked the V for the page number. So even what is suppose to work is not working.

Can't believe I paid money for this program, no doubt apple's worst product I have ever encountered...

Jun 16, 2015 2:43 AM in response to Pazzy-el

Try changing the format of the first line (the title "Table of Contents") and then uncheck the "show page number".

It worked for me, following your idea.

Although, this kind of issues should be taken care of by the program itself, not manually by us.

I agree with you that there are many design problems with Pages, I gave it a chance with my thesis, but I probably won't do it again.

Pages gets the job done for simpler documents, but not for complex documents like a thesis.

Cheers!

Table of Contents won't include any heading above it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.